New PM25!

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Matt's site is showing a new version of the PM25 that has a belt drive system and BLDC motor. Site also says they are going to show up this month.

Bill

that's a really lovely looking mill! I think that would satisfy the needs of quite a few hobby machinists, myself included. Is it my imagination of is it quite a bit bigger/ beefier than the previous PM20/25? Looks like the PM45's little brother :)

The base is shaped differently, and the column mounts on the top of the base, instead of on the back like mine. Definitely looks beefier. Kinda like the old PM30.

Bill

Very interested in this one! Curious what folks think of compatibility for Hoss' CNC conversion plans. Looks like it may just be somewhat different in the base of the column mounting. Shouldn't affect the CNCing of things.

Actually looks like a nice little mill. The brushless DC motor will be a nice feature for variable speed.

I also just noticed that the website now shows the 836 in both step and variable speed versions. Looks identical to the Jet model 836. This was not on the website until recently.

Mike.

Last edited:
I have a 1.5hp BLDC motor on my little SB 8k and am continually impressed with the torque and smoothness of these things. More efficient design than a brushed DC motor.

I've got my eye on a 1100w (1.5hp) BLDC motor with controller and rpm display for my PM. Just waiting on funds approval from the Banker/Wife. :)

EDIT: I saw the 836s on Ebay last week, and just went to the PM site to check 'em out there. That little variable speed one looks nice for guys (me) wanting smaller hobby machines. First question from the wife will be "What are you going to do with the machines you already have?". :(

Bill

Actually looks like a nice little mill. The brushless DC motor will be a nice feature for variable speed.

I also just noticed that the website now shows the 836 in both step and variable speed versions. Looks identical to the Jet model 836. This was not on the website until recently.

Mike.

Last edited:
Arghhh, had my eye on the PM25 myself for a while. Now with BLDC, getting tougher to say no to now... need to save faster. :)

Side question: say you already had a vise you could get by with for now, and ER40 collet set, besides hold downs and a R8 to ER chuck?... what else would you minimally need to get one up and running?

Nothing really. Other than cutters. :)

I was up and running with a hold down kit, a basic r8 collet set, and a small vise. And a cheap set of end mills from India...

Bill

Arghhh, had my eye on the PM25 myself for a while. Now with BLDC, getting tougher to say no to now... need to save faster. :)

Side question: say you already had a vise you could get by with for now, and ER40 collet set, besides hold downs and a R8 to ER chuck?... what else would you minimally need to get one up and running?

To do what? I believe mills like this normally come with an inexpensive drill chuck and necessary wrenches, so probably just an electrical outlet, some mineral spirits to clean it up for use, some suitable way oil for lubrication, and some cutters that fit your collets (which might need to be single-ended if the collets aren't deep enough for doubles. You can also get a small set of cheap R8 collets if the R8/ER40 collet chuck is too pricey right now. You'd be up and running with suitable equipment for a lot of basic stuff. Oh, and a test indicator or dial indicator and some sort of holder for it so you can properly tram the head would be a good thing to have.

-Ryan

Back