New Model Grizzly G0750G Gunsmith Lathe

Got the machine mounted on the base today. I didn't like the mounting holes under the machine so I welded on some extensions and drilled them for heavy machinery leveling pads. Hoisted the lathe up and slid the base under. Picking the machine up and bolting to the base took about an hour thanks to my son coming over to help . . ...............................................................DSC_0249.JPGDSC_0258.JPGDSC_0255.JPGDSC_0256.JPGDSC_0259.JPG

DSC_0246.JPG DSC_0249.JPG DSC_0251.JPG DSC_0255.JPG DSC_0256.JPG DSC_0258.JPG DSC_0259.JPG

Hmm thats strange, wonder why? I have been trying to do a cast base option on the PM-1236 and have not had much luck.

Just ordered my g0750g yesterday. Thanks for the pics, I now know exactly how I'm going to maneuver my lathe into place. Question on the base mounting holes- are they through drilled into the cabinet so that the nut is installed through the cabinet door, or is there a gap between the base bottom and the cabinet bottom surface? Another question I have is that my space is limited in that I need to place the lathe fairly close to the wall. Given this, would it be more prudent to use mounting pads instead of bolting it down? What is the likelyhood that I will need access to the back after its installed?
Matt, I looked very hard at the PM1236 but in the end my Grizzly loyalty won out(lived in Bellingham WA and been buying Grizzly for 20+years). However Grizzly does not offer a foot brake for any 12x36 models. Would you consider selling a "brake kit"?

Just ordered my g0750g yesterday. Thanks for the pics, I now know exactly how I'm going to maneuver my lathe into place. Question on the base mounting holes- are they through drilled into the cabinet so that the nut is installed through the cabinet door, or is there a gap between the base bottom and the cabinet bottom surface? Another question I have is that my space is limited in that I need to place the lathe fairly close to the wall. Given this, would it be more prudent to use mounting pads instead of bolting it down? What is the likelyhood that I will need access to the back after its installed?
Matt, I looked very hard at the PM1236 but in the end my Grizzly loyalty won out(lived in Bellingham WA and been buying Grizzly for 20+years). However Grizzly does not offer a foot brake for any 12x36 models. Would you consider selling a "brake kit"?
The holes on my G4003G don't go into the cabinet and there's no room for a drill so to bolt it down you would have to predrill to install the anchors then put the lathe on top. I picked mine up from a beam so I couldn't move it sideways. That's why I welded the extensions onto the base to increase the footprint and get the holes in the clear. I used eight rubber bottomed leveling feet. When I set the machine up a week ago it was dead nuts level but it was .005 off this morning when I checked it. A few experienced guys recommended I bolt it down and they may be right. I'm going to level it once more and see if it stays. If not I'll bolt it. The cabinet bases seem to be made of 1/4 to 3/8 inch cast iron and each piece weighs about 150 lbs. The owners manual say 60 inches from the front of the chip pan to the wall. Seems a bit excessive to me. You need enough room to get into the electrical panel and to adjust the motor for belt tension. The headstock base is wider than the tailstock base. I think I covered all your ?.
Ed P
PS
The instructions say to lift the lathe with 2 straps going inside the leadscrews and wrapping around the outside of the base. Running the lift strap like that will put substantial machine weight onto the ON-OFF-REV motor switch located under th QC transmission. I read a few posts complaining of this switch going bad in a short time so this may be the reason. Anyhoo, I used a 2500LB single strap on the CG and had no problems. The CG is right at the nose of the chuck as shown in my pics. You can fine tune it by moving the carriage. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks Ed that help. I was just about to order the leveling pads but I think I will just go ahead and use concrete anchors and bolt it. I had planned on putting it against a wall but have decided to put it between the bays in 3 car garage so I will have access to all sides. I have read on other forums that things can shift for a while. I'm obviously no expert but maybe re-level and give it a bit more time? Maybe it will settle in?
Thanks, Scott

The holes on my G4003G don't go into the cabinet and there's no room for a drill so to bolt it down you would have to predrill to install the anchors then put the lathe on top. I picked mine up from a beam so I couldn't move it sideways. That's why I welded the extensions onto the base to increase the footprint and get the holes in the clear. I used eight rubber bottomed leveling feet. When I set the machine up a week ago it was dead nuts level but it was .005 off this morning when I checked it. A few experienced guys recommended I bolt it down and they may be right. I'm going to level it once more and see if it stays. If not I'll bolt it. The cabinet bases seem to be made of 1/4 to 3/8 inch cast iron and each piece weighs about 150 lbs. The owners manual say 60 inches from the front of the chip pan to the wall. Seems a bit excessive to me. You need enough room to get into the electrical panel and to adjust the motor for belt tension. The headstock base is wider than the tailstock base. I think I covered all your ?.
Ed P
PS
The instructions say to lift the lathe with 2 straps going inside the leadscrews and wrapping around the outside of the base. Running the lift strap like that will put substantial machine weight onto the ON-OFF-REV motor switch located under th QC transmission. I read a few posts complaining of this switch going bad in a short time so this may be the reason. Anyhoo, I used a 2500LB single strap on the CG and had no problems. The CG is right at the nose of the chuck as shown in my pics. You can fine tune it by moving the carriage. Good luck.

However Grizzly does not offer a foot brake for any 12x36 models. Would you consider selling a "brake kit"?

The foot brake was one of the big advantages of the PM1236. I don't use it as often as I first thought I would BUT when I do it is worth it's wait in gold. I would think it would be very hard and or expensive to retrofit a machine that wasn't originally offered with a brake. It is actually quite a bit more than just a switch and a foot pedal. There is a set of automotive style brake shoes under the pulley/brake drum assembly that stops the spindle instantly. There is also more electrical components involved otherwise the spindle would restart when you released the foot pedal.

Back