New Model Grizzly G0750G Gunsmith Lathe

tripletap3

Active User
Registered
I just received the new 2013 Grizzly catalog and noticed a new lathe model that quietly snuck in. Its a 12x36 gunsmith lathe looks alot like the PM1236 with the enclosed gearbox. $3,395. plus $255 shipping. No foot break though. Anyone else catch this?

I just received the new 2013 Grizzly catalog and noticed a new lathe model that quietly snuck in. Its a 12x36 gunsmith lathe looks alot like the PM1236 with the enclosed gearbox. $3,395. plus $255 shipping. No foot break though. Anyone else catch this?

Yes, I saw it. No foot brake or coolant system, D1-5 Spindle, and other small differences, but basically the same machine.

That looks nice! There's quite a few differences, more variations than similarities to the PM1236. Wonder why they choose to come out with this one, it's not much different than the G4003G but I do like it better.

Last edited:
That looks nice! There's quite a few differences, more variations than similarities to the PM1236. Wonder why they choose to come out with this one, it's not much different than the G4003G but I do like it better.
I just ordered a G4003G. I looked at the G0750G and liked that it's lowest speed was 60 vs 70 rpm for the 4003. I didn't like that the range of threads in the new transmission was not listed anywhere and the product manual is not yet available. I emailed Grizzly and got no answer there either. Being as everyone with a G4003G is happy as a fly in a septic tank I decided to play it safe and go for that one.

I wouldn't sweat the low speed settings. From everything I have seen the speeds listed on Asian lathes are only a guesstimate anyway. Anyone who has checked them seem to find that they vary at least 10 rpm higher from the chart at the lowest settings. I would say that would be variable due to how old the machine is and what type of oil is in the lathe ect. I assume you bought the G4003G for gunsmithing work. Almost all of what I do on my lathe is gunsmithing work and a good part of that is threading up to a shoulder. I have found that over 100rpm is way to fast to handle when doing a 1/2" of thread up to a shoulder because it finishes way too fast for me. At 65rpm it is much easier to handle but the finish is not as nice as with the 100rpm setting.

I did a lot of threading with my old 11 inch Logan a long time ago. I always crept along in the lowest speed on backgear to give me control and avoid my old tired flatbelt from slipping. The threads were never that smooth but a few minutes with a wire wheel smoothed them up so they worked just fine. It never occurred to me at the time that I was going too slow. Even if I wanted to go faster the flat belt wouldn't like it.

Got my Grizzly catalog today and the threading range of the Go70G is not in there either. I also noticed the G4003G is 138 pounds heavier than the new G0750G.

I just ordered a G4003G. I looked at the G0750G and liked that it's lowest speed was 60 vs 70 rpm for the 4003. I didn't like that the range of threads in the new transmission was not listed anywhere and the product manual is not yet available. I emailed Grizzly and got no answer there either. Being as everyone with a G4003G is happy as a fly in a septic tank I decided to play it safe and go for that one.

I hope those of you spending multiple thousands of dollars are remembering to use the 5% coupon on the back of your 2013 catalog? :))............ :panic:

M

I have two friends who are quite happy with their G4003's, both are planning to chamber gun barrels. You may have to tweek it a little thats normal. Good luck and have fun.

I hope those of you spending multiple thousands of dollars are remembering to use the 5% coupon on the back of your 2013 catalog? :))............ :panic:

M

My 2013 catalog doesn't have one. Guess I am not that good of a Grizzly customer.

Back