New Model Grizzly G0750G Gunsmith Lathe

The 2x10's with the caster worked out great. Once I jacked the crate up and got the pallet out I bolted them on and I could move the rig around with one hand.
Good job, and it must have been a buzz to see it in there as you pulled the crate apart. Now for the pics of how you lift it up onto its stand please! :))
M

Congrats on the new lathe! I still remember that great feeling the day mine arrived!

Good job, and it must have been a buzz to see it in there as you pulled the crate apart. Now for the pics of how you lift it up onto its stand please! :))
M
A buzz indeed. The manual says to bolt down the base and then put the lathe on top but I can't do that. The only way I can pick up the machine is with a chain hoist on a main carrying beam. I'll have to lift the lathe and then slide the base under it. I gotta check my levels and see how sensitive they are. I hate to spend a hundred bux for a one shot deal on a machinist level when I still need four or five hundred bux of tooling just to get started. When I sold my old Logan I gave the guy a milling attachment, collet set with closer, boring bars, end mills, ect. What a dope! I had no idea how expensive this stuff is. Ed P

I would be really interested in hearing what you have to say about the lathe after you get it set up. I am thinking of buying one myself and have been putting it off until I get some room in the garage/shop cleared out.

I would be really interested in hearing what you have to say about the lathe after you get it set up. I am thinking of buying one myself and have been putting it off until I get some room in the garage/shop cleared out.
It'll be a while before I'm making chips but the machine looks to be a real bargain for the money. My only complaint so far are the bolt holes in the bases. They're tucked away in recesses under the footprint of the machine. You can't drill the holes with the machine in place, you have to drill them first and lower the machine on to the bolts. This doesn't make any sense to me and I can't do it anyway. I ended up welding pieces of angle iron to the bases that stick out in the four corners of each base. This widens the base support substantially and gives me places to put eight leveling pads that have three inch diameter rubber feet. I'll just support the machine on the rubber feet and not bolt it down at all. I ordered one of those super duper levels that is accurate to .0005 in 10 inches. The rubber mounts have about two inches of adjustment so it should be easy to level the machine and keep it level. Jonesin', jonesin', jonesin'

It'll be a while before I'm making chips but the machine looks to be a real bargain for the money. My only complaint so far are the bolt holes in the bases. They're tucked away in recesses under the footprint of the machine. You can't drill the holes with the machine in place, you have to drill them first and lower the machine on to the bolts. This doesn't make any sense to me and I can't do it anyway. I ended up welding pieces of angle iron to the bases that stick out in the four corners of each base. This widens the base support substantially and gives me places to put eight leveling pads that have three inch diameter rubber feet. I'll just support the machine on the rubber feet and not bolt it down at all. I ordered one of those super duper levels that is accurate to .0005 in 10 inches. The rubber mounts have about two inches of adjustment so it should be easy to level the machine and keep it level. Jonesin', jonesin', jonesin'

The only problem with putting feet on this lathe is it is tall already, when you add an extra couple of inches it is too tall. I am 6' and I wish this lathe was a couple of inches shorter. I, like you, put some struts under it with leveling bolts out to the side. I tried to keep it as low a set up as possible but still added about an inch to the height.

The only problem with putting feet on this lathe is it is tall already, when you add an extra couple of inches it is too tall. I am 6' and I wish this lathe was a couple of inches shorter. I, like you, put some struts under it with leveling bolts out to the side. I tried to keep it as low a set up as possible but still added about an inch to the height.
When I had had my last machine I built an antifatigue mat out of wood strips screwed down onto some runners. It really reduced my back and foot problems at the end of long days and as it was so porous, I could just pick it up to sweep chips as they would fall right thru it. I'll wait until my machine is all setup and if I need more height, when I make my mat I'll make the runners thicker. Thanks for the heads-up. Ed P

A comment and a question. I personally like the machine alittle higher, I usually end up raising my workbenches and machines. Raised my mill by 6 inches and my reloading and work bench by 4 inches.

Question is, what do you thing of the quality of your gunsmith lathe?

A comment and a question. I personally like the machine alittle higher, I usually end up raising my workbenches and machines. Raised my mill by 6 inches and my reloading and work bench by 4 inches.

Question is, what do you thing of the quality of your gunsmith lathe?

Well, it is a chinese lathe... it needed a lot of sorting out as they often do. The really important things were good to go... The spindle has almost zero measurable runout, and a test bar cut on the lathe showed less than .0002 difference in 6". Now that I have most of the little stuff sorted out it seems to be a pretty good lathe. For the cost I suppose you expect that sort of thing, but it is still quite irritating.

I'm not sure why grizzly makes this lathe so tall. I don't mind a lathe to be a little taller as well, but I don't like having to constantly look around the tool holder block. I would prefer to look down on top of the work slightly. I may end up cutting a couple of inches off the bottom of the stand when I get some time and feel ambitious.

To be fair I should say that my shop floor is slanted toward the front doors. (and I stand on the downhill side of the lathe) That does compound the height situation a little bit, but it still would be nice a couple of inches shorter. It's a lot easier to go up in height with a machine using feet or whatever than it is to go down. (which involves cutting etc) Here is another guy that thought it was too tall too... http://bedair.org/Grizzly12x/GrizzlyG4003G2.html

Back