New Bench Vise (tool Gloat!)

I have never used Kroil, but have used the ATF mix, and also use the PB Blaster and they work. WD40, I have used for killing a few squeaks and cleaning things up, and have used it while machining some aluminum. I always try to use some type of penetrating oil on rusty stuff. If that does not work then I go for a little heat then more Penetrating oil.

from the tests I found online for the atf/acetone mix vs others it took about 1/2 the torque to loosen rusted bolts than it did Kroil. And Kroil was rated #2 on the list. I will have to see if I can find one of those tests.

here's one test
The "test" was using a Baldwin compressometer set on 1200-pound scale
> to determine the load required to move a "dowel pin" on 6 identical > setups.

Oil used_________________Avg load(Lbs)to move pin______price/oz
HomeBrew 50-50, ATF&Acetone______53___________________$0.10
Kano Kroil_______________________106__________________$0.75
Liquid Wrench____________________127__________________$0.21
PB Blaster_______________________214__________________$0.35
WD-40____________________________238__________________$0.25
none_____________________________516__________________$0.00

here's one test
The "test" was using a Baldwin compressometer set on 1200-pound scale
> to determine the load required to move a "dowel pin" on 6 identical > setups.

Oil used_________________Avg load(Lbs)to move pin______price/oz
HomeBrew 50-50, ATF&Acetone______53___________________$0.10
Kano Kroil_______________________106__________________$0.75
Liquid Wrench____________________127__________________$0.21
PB Blaster_______________________214__________________$0.35
WD-40____________________________238__________________$0.25
none_____________________________516__________________$0.00

Hmmm, I wonder how ATF/Acetone would work for tapping fluid :idea:

Yup I've seen those same tests too. Still I prefer to use aerosol as it's more convenient for me. Even though I have plenty of containers for dispensing, refillable air sprayers, ATF, & acetone in the garage. :)

AeroKroil hasn't failed me yet so I'm good. PB Blaster has failed me before but at least it's best product off the shelf around here that's readily available.

Does the acetone dry up quick in the mix? That's the only concern I had mixing up fair amount of batches.

I haven't had a chance to test the mix yet. So far Kroil has worked. Although it did come close to trying once when I still had a hard time loosening a bolt. But it did come out with the Kroil. I know Kroil has worked for me when PB did not. So I have been using Kroil since.

In defense of WS-40...

A month or so ago... the 'donut' gasket on one side of the engine in my service van... started leaking... offensively loud leak.

Ran the van up on a set of ramps, crawled under it with a 1/2 impact, the nuts on the studs would NOT budge. After some choice discussion with the nuts... LOL... got out the can of WD-40 and soaked the nuts/studs... then soaked them again in about an hour. Then an hour later... tried again: Nuts came right off... replaced the donuts... both sides... better to use the setup and resolve the issue now, than have to do it in the middle of the summer when I am too busy to stop.

Last edited:
In defense of WS-40...

A month or so ago... the 'donut' gasket on one side of the engine in my service van... started leaking... offensively loud leak.

Ran the fan up on a set of ramps, crawled under it with a 1/2 impact, the nuts on the studs would NOT budge. After some choice discussion with the nuts... LOL... got out the can of WD-40 and soaked the nuts/studs... then soaked them again in about an hour. Then an hour later... tried again: Nuts came right off... replaced the donuts... both sides... better to use the setup and resolve the issue now, than have to do it in the middle of the summer when I am too busy to stop.
Wd-40 isn't the magic that the marketing people would have you believe but it does work. As far as I can tell it's just light oil in a low-viscosity solvent that carries the oil into small spaces and then evaporates. Nothing you couldn't mix up yourself, but the spray cans are convenient.

Yeah... one can find better products... however the convenience of a spray can... or in my case a manual spray can and a gallon extra, it is convenient.
And it does work nicely as cutting oil for AL.

All these penetrants work. Just some work better than others in different circumstances. Some work under all conditions while others only work under certain conditions. Personally I found Kroil to work every time I need it too.

Back