New Bench Vise (tool Gloat!)

Can't get kroil around here so I have never tryed it.

Can't get kroil around here so I have never tryed it.
I buy it directly fron Kano Labs. With their buy one get one free (or of another product) it's well worth it to me. No one sells it locally here either except for Mcmaster & the very few that sell it online are way too expensive.

Question... I have an old vise (around 65#) that was outside for an extended time before I got it.
The screw is locked up...
How does one free it, so they can take it apart and clean it up.

What kind of vise is it? Many old vises, especially the good ones like a Parker, have a nut that is fit into a dovetail. The fit can be rather loose and the nut can cock and get jammed, especially if someone had a heavy hand. Quite often, the nut is held into the dovetail with a pin that can be driven out so you can access the nut. You might try this and take a drift and gently tap the nut and work the leadscrew - it might just break it loose.

If it is rusted in place then penetrating oil might do it but I would just toss it in the electrolytic tank and derust it before trying to work the lead screw loose.

I got mine at a heating supply store. Only place that has it around here that I could find. I know many years ago it was only carried by industrial supply places.

That's a great vise. I use mine all the time and like that they open to about 6"

I buy it directly fron Kano Labs. With their buy one get one free (or of another product) it's well worth it to me. No one sells it locally here either except for Mcmaster & the very few that sell it online are way too expensive.

+1 on Kroil. You order direct with some geat people. They included a small I
oil can in my order and it has a lable that says "Kroiler". I, too, have heard of the Auto tranmission fluid and acetone but I've got a 1/2 gallon of Kroil left to use first. I can't toot the horn of this company enough! An American product that does all is says it does and more. There are people who shoot the old caliber guns with lead bullets and black powder and they say Kroil will get under the lead in a badly fouled barrel and you can just brush it out. I use my special bullet lube,rendered sheep butt fat, bee's wax and a pinch of toe of newt and eye of frog, so, I don't get leading in my shooting stick.

If I ever figure out how to post pictures, I'll send a picture or two of my old home made rifle.
It has some nice wood. I made everything except the front sight inserts and the rear sight.

I did fill out a form on Kano Labs websit about a year or so ago was suposed to get a free sample of kroil and 1 outher product you could choose any 2 of there products. Never got anything. PB works for most of what need if not just break out the blue wrench. :idea:

Thanks Billh50.

OK, I'm convinced. I had a really stiff steering select valve on my big forklift. I have sprayed the heck out of it with WD-40 and worked it with a cheater pipe every time I got on the machine. It kinda worked, at least I could move it without the cheater with a lot of effort. Based on the acetone ATF mix mentioned here, I just tried it. I don't have any ATF on the shelf, but I do have some Marvel Mystery Oil. So I mixed up a small batch. I'm amazed, 5 minutes and it works just like new. It really works.

:dancing banana:

Back