New Bench Vise (tool Gloat!)

Inflight

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
While mowing my front lawn this week, my neighbor came out to say hi and chat a bit. After a few minutes, he invited me back to his place because he said he had something for me.
It was a big Wilton combination vise. Quicker than I can post this message, I ran back to my shed an grabbed a rolling cart. Within the next couple hours, I had stripped all the old chipped paint, degreased the hardened stuff on the inside, got it primed & painted and reassembled.

Here is the vise cleaned up. Turns out to be a 5" C2 in excellent condition and weighs close to 100lbs. Not bad for totally FREE!!!

Matt

Wilton C2 Vise.jpg

Great Score!!!
you can't even touch old FUBAR Wiltons in these parts for less than $100

GREAT score... and the price was right!

Question... I have an old vise (around 65#) that was outside for an extended time before I got it.
The screw is locked up...
How does one free it, so they can take it apart and clean it up.

My first thought is to soak it with WD-40 (repeatedly, on a metal pan), until it loosens up.

Any other thoughts?

THX

Good for you! they call that style a “Bullet Vise”. I guess because of the shape of the vise at the back end…Good Luck, Dave.

Inglight Great score, Other people have all the luck.

GA Gyro: can you get the base off, or is it also frozen up. One thing you might do is try using heat on the areas you need to loosen, then add penetrating fluid, I have freed up some stuff that way,
If the bolt/screw etc is cold and you heat the nut etc it allows the fluid to work in between and start working. Then you slowly start working it back and forth until you get it free.
or at least that has worked for me before.

GREAT score... and the price was right!

Question... I have an old vise (around 65#) that was outside for an extended time before I got it.
The screw is locked up...
How does one free it, so they can take it apart and clean it up.

My first thought is to soak it with WD-40 (repeatedly, on a metal pan), until it loosens up.

Any other thoughts?

THX
WD-40 won't help. use pb blaster, or a 50/50 mixture of ATF fluid and acidtone.

WD-40 won't help. use pb blaster, or a 50/50 mixture of ATF fluid and acidtone.

Agreed, the only thing I use WD40 for is cleaning, that's what I use to clean my machines. Many people use it for machining aluminum but I haven't tried that yet. I use Kroil for penetrating oil, haven't found anything better. I've heard the ATF/acetone mix works well too, I've been meaning to try it.

Back