New 935 Is Running!

Matt says his guys will be doing some installations on a few 935s and has promised me some pics. :)

Pass those along please as I will be doing the same soon. I do like how Coolidge installed his and may follow his lead... saved a couple inches of Y travel I believe.

The Y axis install should be very straight forward, and I will mount the X-axis scale on the front of the table like I have on all of my machines, as I am not interested in giving up any Y-axis travel. I don't bother with power feed stops, so that makes the X-axis even easier than the one coolidge did.

Going to have to think through the Z-axis scale install though. The sides of the column are not vertical, nor parallel to the knee's travel, and the small ledge next to the knee dovetail is not sufficient to mount a scale there, or so I believe. I'm going to be doing a lot of thinking and staring at this thing this weekend. Probably have to make a couple of uneven standoffs to mount to the side of the column to get a proper mounting surface.

The Y axis install should be very straight forward, and I will mount the X-axis scale on the front of the table like I have on all of my machines, as I am not interested in giving up any Y-axis travel. I don't bother with power feed stops, so that makes the X-axis even easier than the one coolidge did.

Going to have to think through the Z-axis scale install though. The sides of the column are not vertical, nor parallel to the knee's travel, and the small ledge next to the knee dovetail is not sufficient to mount a scale there, or so I believe. I'm going to be doing a lot of thinking and staring at this thing this weekend. Probably have to make a couple of uneven standoffs to mount to the side of the column to get a proper mounting surface.
I have some ideas on how to mount that z scale. Id rig up a piece of bar stock on the table hanging off behind the table then run a plumb bob off of it. Mark the line at 2 points the same distance apart as the scale mount holes for reference. Use the plumb bob to take a rough measurement via tape measure or the depth gauge on your starret calipers from the 2 points to the column of the mill. Use those 2 measurements to trig the angle required for the mount spacers. Once you get the spacer roughed out you can use foil to fine tune and shim any misalignmen, or hand finish the mounts by draw file. If you use your starret dial caliper you should be able to get within a couple thou. Then mount the scale and read head. Problem solved!
Of course you will need to level the machine first.
Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Setup continues. I'd actually forgotten how easy a BP style head is to tram. No excuses now.

IMG_0683.jpg

Already making chips: The X-axis reader head mount needed some fine tuning.

IMG_0684.jpg

One axis mounted, two to go.

IMG_0685.jpg

Time to call it a day. :)

:encourage: I am so jealous Bill, I am stretching my budget way to far just "considering" a PM932 PDF, congrats again. :congratulate:

Ya need to paint the place in Luster Pearl White to make that beautiful lady feel comfy :laughing:

It does look nice!!!

Thanks guys. :)

Now I know why Matt has one of these at home. Very, very smooth and cuts like a dream.

My only real complaint to date is that little pointer thingie for the knee dial (you can see it in the last pic). It's cockeyed and goofy looking. Definitely not in character with the rest of the machine. Not sure what to replace it with, but it is definitely getting replaced.

Back