need to make this happen ASAP (square die set up)

At this point I guess I'm lost on why you asked for help. You have everything you need to do the project, so why aren't you doing it?

I am asking for ideas on HOW to attach the punch to my ram, the easiest way. I have lots of ideas, but perhaps people here with 40 + years of experience, have other ways I haven't thought of. Can only work on the set up on the weekends, got to make a living during the week..................

As for attaching the punch to the ram , could you do this .... Take ram out of the press , drill a hole in the bottom and drill a set screw hole in the side . Now you have a hole in it and one in the punch . Tightly fit a shaft in the punch and weld it in place that shaft will now go into the ram ( snug fit ) and be held in place with the set screw .

Good idea Westsail, The bore in my G4003 lathe is only 1.400. Maybe I can pop the ram out and go over to a friends. He has a 21" Clausing. Pretty sure it has a LARGE spindle bore. Thanks for your idea

I am asking for ideas on HOW to attach the punch to my ram, the easiest way. I have lots of ideas, but perhaps people here with 40 + years of experience, have other ways I haven't thought of. Can only work on the set up on the weekends, got to make a living during the week..................
This didn't escape me, but after a dozen good ideas and you're still saying no, it seems you're discounting the experience from which you seek answers.

This didn't escape me, but after a dozen good ideas and you're still saying no, it seems you're discounting the experience from which you seek answers.

I'm sorry ya feel that way. I tend to not jump right on the first answer. I like to hear various opinions before I make a decision.

I have a kick press with a socket for the punch. The punch is secured with a set screw. The die is mounted on a plate that is moved to mate with the punch and secured to the table.
Rather than modifying the arbor press ram, I would turn a collar with an I.D. to fit the punch on one end and an I.D. to fit the press ram. Mount the collar on the ram and the punch in the collar. Align the die to mate with the punch and secure. Done.

I'm sorry ya feel that way. I tend to not jump right on the first answer. I like to hear various opinions before I make a decision.

Feeling are just that, feelings. I wasn't looking for a warm fuzzy but recreating the wheel when you ask for help from those who you say may have 40+ years of experience was the position I was coming from. I do understand the H-M perspective, and it isn't necessary to build a complete shoe but alignment is critical so the same care that goes into building a die shoe needs to go into what you make. Attaching the punch to the ram isn't the best idea unless the ram is really tight, no slop. What are the clearances on the die (punch vs die) .oo5", .008" maybe .012". These would be standard but based on the punch size I'm guessig .005". My point, that isn't much clearance.

Last edited:
I have a kick press with a socket for the punch. The punch is secured with a set screw. The die is mounted on a plate that is moved to mate with the punch and secured to the table.
Rather than modifying the arbor press ram, I would turn a collar with an I.D. to fit the punch on one end and an I.D. to fit the press ram. Mount the collar on the ram and the punch in the collar. Align the die to mate with the punch and secure. Done.
I would do this also if the ram doesn't have much play. Using the arbor press probably negates a crashed punch.

Feeling are just that, feelings. I wasn't looking for a warm fuzzy but recreating the wheel when you ask for help from those who you say may have 40+ years of experience was the position I was coming from. I do understand the H-M perspective, and it isn't necessary to build a complete shoe but alignment is critical so the same care that goes into building a die shoe needs to go into what you make. Attaching the punch to the ram isn't the best idea unless the ram is really tight, no slop. What are the clearances on the die (punch vs die) .oo5", .008" maybe .012". These would be standard but based on the punch size I'm guessig .005". My point, that isn't much clearance.

>006" clearance . very little slop in ram and what is there, I can drill the casting, tap it and add a bronze set screw and locknut and take up all the slop.

Thanks RJ, excellent idea. That is what I'll go with. I'll post some pics

Ahhhh ok, well one say is to build a cup for your punch and use a screw through the bottom of the cup to hold it to the jig, then a set screw through the side of the cup to hold the die.
The other way (easier) seeing your die already has a hole, is to take a piece of metal, drill for a rod, press the rod into the metal.. then weld it, add holes on the side of the metal to mount to the jig. The disadvante of this is that the punch is hardened and wont allow you to drill into it for a set screw to hold it to the rod. So that is a drawback.
The larger cup might be the way to go. The cup can also be mounted to flat stock and welded and use the flat stock to screw to the jig..
it's all up to you.

Back