need to make this happen ASAP (square die set up)

What hasn't been said yet, you will make a plate to secure the die to the base of the arbor press. Once you have this in hand, place it on the press, put the punch in the upper portion, and secure it. Now, lower it into the die, shifting the die until it's perfectly centered. Secure the die in place, remove the punch and fabricate some sort of stripper to pull the punch out of the newly punched holes. While doing all this, place two dowel pins in the base plate which will guide the OD of the piece to be punched. Punch a hole, rotate the piece, punch a hole. There's probably more to be done, to locate where the next hole goes, but I can't do that from here.

What hasn't been said yet, you will make a plate to secure the die to the base of the arbor press. Once you have this in hand, place it on the press, put the punch in the upper portion, and secure it. Now, lower it into the die, shifting the die until it's perfectly centered. Secure the die in place, remove the punch and fabricate some sort of stripper to pull the punch out of the newly punched holes. While doing all this, place two dowel pins in the base plate which will guide the OD of the piece to be punched. Punch a hole, rotate the piece, punch a hole. There's probably more to be done, to locate where the next hole goes, but I can't do that from here.

Making a plate for the die and securing it to my press should be a piece of cake. It's the attaching the punch to my press ram I'd like help on.

At a guess the 5/8 punch won't go in the .500 hole. Right?

does your ram have a hole in it with a set screw?
If so put a dowel pin in your jig, and tie it together that way. Now it's centered all the time for maximum force, least deflection.
And it can help pull up when you lift the ram.
you can still clamp the base down using standard clamps, or whatever. Or drill the jig and casting, and screw it down.

Making a plate for the die and securing it to my press should be a piece of cake. It's the attaching the punch to my press ram I'd like help on.
Bottom plate, top plate, two dowel guides that keep the two aligned. The die is secured to the bottom plate, the punch is secured to the top plate and we call this a die shoe, punch and die shoe, etc. If your shoe has springs to assist in the top plate returning there's no need to attach it to the arbor press.

This whole process requires the punch and die alignment to be the priority. How you go about doing that is up to you. Some photos of your arbor press would help. If you choose to not fabricate a shoe then you can attach, secure, align the die plate to the arbor press base after adjustment and alignment with the punch. The punch should be secured, fixed to the ram. The die plate needs to move so you can align the two, and somewhere in the middle of this you need a stripper plate, which is a means of removing the punch from the material.

Amount is negligible, but it still has to be done.

The quantity is important. If you only need 10 holes, drill it and use a square file.

Last edited:
At a guess the 5/8 punch won't go in the .500 hole. Right?

Not sure where ya got that info. The punch and die are both 7/32" square. the diameter of the punch body is 5/8" as it the square that's in the middle of the punch. Where is teh .500 hole?

Bottom plate, top plate, two dowel guides that keep the two aligned. The die is secured to the bottom plate, the punch is secured to the top plate and we call this a die shoe, punch and die shoe, etc. If your shoe has springs to assist in the top plate returning there's no need to attach it to the arbor press.

This whole process requires the punch and die alignment to be the priority. How you go about doing that is up to you. Some photos of your arbor press would help. If you choose to not fabricate a shoe then you can attach, secure, align the die plate to the arbor press base after adjustment and alignment with the punch. The punch should be secured, fixed to the ram. The die plate needs to move so you can align the two, and somewhere in the middle of this you need a stripper plate, which is a means of removing the punch from the material.

The quantity is important. If you only need 10 holes, drill it and use a square file.

Sorry, looks unprofessional. Been doing that for years. Takes all the profit out of the job. Making a die shoe set up takes way too much time. Making a bottom plate for the die is easy. Just need some pointers on attaching the punch to my ram
Here's a couple of pics. Ram is 1.750" diameter . Arbor press is a Greenerd No. 3A, 3 ton with 12" throat. Got it for FREE from a company that throws away stuff for tax write-offs !!!!

DSC07378.JPG DSC07379.JPG

Sorry, looks unprofessional. Been doing that for years. Takes all the profit out of the job. Making a die shoe set up takes way too much time. Making a bottom plate for the die is easy. Just need some pointers on attaching the punch to my ram
Here's a couple of pics. Ram is 1.750" diameter . Arbor press is a Greenerd No. 3A, 3 ton with 12" throat. Got it for FREE from a company that throws away stuff for tax write-offs !!!!

View attachment 234694 View attachment 234695
At this point I guess I'm lost on why you asked for help. You have everything you need to do the project, so why aren't you doing it?

As for attaching the punch to the ram , could you do this .... Take ram out of the press , drill a hole in the bottom and drill a set screw hole in the side . Now you have a hole in it and one in the punch . Tightly fit a shaft in the punch and weld it in place that shaft will now go into the ram ( snug fit ) and be held in place with the set screw .

Back