need to make this happen ASAP (square die set up)

Mutt

Registered
Registered
Hey y'all, I need to make this project happen ASAP. Got all the machines to do it with, just would like to get some pointers before I start. All opinions appreciated
I got a Greenerd Manual arbor press I would like to use for the basis of this set up. This press weights about 300 lbs and easily punches this mild steel I need for this job. A friend of mine told me I could use is Roper punch if I could find the correct punch and die. I called every where. $200 and upwards. That ain't gonna happen. Hi-ho Flea Bay. I scored this punch and die for $25 free shipping. I need to make a fixture to punch holes in 16g mild steel. I tested a piece of shim stock and my arbor press does it with no trouble.
So, mu project is this. What do I need to do to set this up in my arbor press ?

Die is .540" thick, with a .125" locating dowel pin.
Die diameter is 1.562"
Square punch is 2188." (7/32")

punch has a .625" shank with a .625 square , end is threaded looks like 5/16 NC

DSC07373.JPG DSC07374.JPG DSC07375.JPG

y'all help me build a fixture to make this function !!!! Got a lathe and mill, welders, grinders, whatever I need

Thanks
Mutt

the pic that comes up looks like what I am trying to accomplish. But I need to do all the work, not spend any money, only time. Machining the plate to hold the die shouldn't present much problem, but making something that will align the punch correctly to the die may. That's what I'd like some ideas on. I have a piece of 3/4" thick by 6" x 12" steel plate I can use for the die base.

The basics are that you need to keep the punch and die aligned for every hole you punch. i.e. repeatability. As was stated you need a die shoe to keep the die positioned. Then you need to connect the punch to the arbor press and keep it attached during the punching operations. Now the task which seems to be the simple, but can be difficult is is connect the punch and die together as a unit as shown in the google link posted.

The problem with connecting these together is limited by the size of the piece of metal you plan on punching, of course the throat depth of the arbor press comes into play here too.

the pic that comes up looks like what I am trying to accomplish. But I need to do all the work, not spend any money, only time. Machining the plate to hold the die shouldn't present much problem, but making something that will align the punch correctly to the die may. That's what I'd like some ideas on. I have a piece of 3/4" thick by 6" x 12" steel plate I can use for the die base.
The photo in the top left is a simple design. What isn't shown is the hole where the die will fit in the bottom, or where the punch is mounted in the top. The guides will be stationary in the bottom plate and slide through bushings in the top plate. You need a spring strong enough to return the top plate to position. Good Luck. -Russ

As recommended above build that jig.
Nope you align the die and punch w/o any metal in the way. So the punch should go through the die, that's your alignment. Lock it down. Since the dies is round, and already has a registration pin it should be easy to hold the die in position. take a flat piece of Al , bore it to the size of the die. put a slit in it leading the bored hole, drill a hole for a screw to close up that slit (clamping the die). thread it. use the plate to put screws in to the fixture to hold the die where needed. Your done. Go use it.

Hey Mutt , you jogged a brain cell loose . One of my first jobs was working in a die stamping Co . All we did was make dies and set them up in a die shoe . Please describe the parts you intend to make and how many of them do you need to make . Maybe we can think of something less complicated than setting up a die shoe . Like maybe a Greenlee punch ?
https://www.google.com/search?q=gre...QsAQIdQ&biw=1366&bih=638#imgrc=eYGRy0h4A9-i7M:

I agree with @westsailpat. a C-frame punch holder setup is the way to go for use in an arbor press.

I have four different punches in my shop (five if I count my Roper Whitney Jr.) and all have a means to align the punch and die otherwise something is going to crash. Your arbor press is the power supply with you being the assist.

Hey Mutt , you jogged a brain cell loose . One of my first jobs was working in a die stamping Co . All we did was make dies and set them up in a die shoe . Please describe the parts you intend to make and how many of them do you need to make . Maybe we can think of something less complicated than setting up a die shoe . Like maybe a Greenlee punch ?
https://www.google.com/search?q=gre...QsAQIdQ&biw=1366&bih=638#imgrc=eYGRy0h4A9-i7M:

It's just simply punching these 7/32 square holes in a 5" round piece of 16g mild steel, around the outer edge. My Greenerd
arbor press has a 12" throat , so clearance is not a problem. Amount is negligible, but it still has to be done.

Back