Need help picking out a toolholder for cutting threads

+1 on the Aloris HSS threading tool. I use the carbide insert ones and the Aloris, tend to go to the Aloris. I bought mine (BXA size) new off eBay for $125 around 5 years ago. They're probably closer to $150+ now. I bought the carbide insert ones for under $25 including 10 inserts. Yeah, the tips can chip, but the inserts are cheap. It depends on your budget and if you don't mind a little potential downtime having to replace the carbide inserts (though with care they do hold up).

Bruce

I just checked eBay, $120 for the AXA8. Seems like a bargain.

You just grind the top of it to resharpen. Never need to replace it.
I was just planning to stone it flat until the top edges were restored. Don't have a surface grinder, so I need to take it slow and easy on a flat stone. But I haven't had to stone it yet, it still cuts threads very well.

I have a couple Aloris blades here and I sold all the holders . They've been packed up in a small flat rate box for 2 years I think :grin: I think 2 P4s and a P6 if I remember correctly . Somebody on here said they wanted them and then I never heard back from them . :dunno:

There does appear to be some side relief, but no where near what is called out when grinding a HSS bit. I see maybe ½º to 1º of side relief. I guess that the inserts would be okay for larger diameter and higher TPI stuff, but the smaller diameter and lower TPI stuff may require a re-look.
I cut a 3/4-10 using the 16ER-AG60 with no issues.

I was just planning to stone it flat until the top edges were restored. Don't have a surface grinder, so I need to take it slow and easy on a flat stone. But I haven't had to stone it yet, it still cuts threads very well.
Surface grinder?! We don't need no steenkin' surface grinder! A bench grinder will do the job.

I cut a 3/4-10 using the 16ER-AG60 with no issues.

Surface grinder?! We don't need no steenkin' surface grinder! A bench grinder will do the job.
Honestly, a touch up stoning will work fine, since the blade doesn't wear quickly. Too easy for this beginner to mess things up with a grinder, so I take it slow and easy.

to be the contrarian, I haven't had any issues with chipping carbide threading inserts at low speeds. I cut a 1-1/2"-8 thread at ~30rpm and it gave a lovely finish. Carbide is less tolerant of screw ups, so if you make a habit of running into the end of your thread relief then maybe they're not for you, but I've gone through maybe 2 inserts since I started using them 6 or 7 years ago. I find I get better finishes with them, especially in mild steel, than I ever did with HSS or stellite.

I have a couple Aloris blades here and I sold all the holders . They've been packed up in a small flat rate box for 2 years I think :grin: I think 2 P4s and a P6 if I remember correctly . Somebody on here said they wanted them and then I never heard back from them . :dunno:
Think I got a P4 from you a while back. Works great.

I have the P4, a P6 and a P10.

Back