Need help picking out a toolholder for cutting threads

JeepsAndGuns

Active User
Registered
Been a hobby machinist for several years now. Made lots of stuff, repaired stuff, modded stuff, etc...
Threading is one thing I have only done once, just to see if I could. The threads worked, but I doubt I ground the carbide tool to the exact shape it needed. It was just on a piece of scrap.

Anyways, I want to start doing this more, as I want to become capable of doing it properly.
I have lots of pieces of brass, aluminum, and steel rods to practice on to get good at it long before I do anything that matters.

I want to use a indexable carbide insert type tool. I do not want to fool around with trying to hand grind a tool and worry about getting the angles correct.
All the threads I plan on cutting are standard US/imperial threads, right hand. 1/2-28, 5/8-24 are the two major ones I want to do, but also 13/16-16 may be on the roster.

My tool post uses 1/2in square shank tools.
Looking through shars, I see several different toolholders and I am not sure what one to pick.

Can anyone help recommend one?
Here are a couple I saw. Naturally I want one with inserts available to cut the threads mentioned above, but also have inserts for most all common/standard threads (like would be in a US/standard tap/die set)
Not being up on the lingo of what all the different letter/number codes translate to, I do not really know which one would be best for my needs.
I'm thinking the first one?

https://www.shars.com/products/inde...ool-universal-external-threading-toolholder-1

https://www.shars.com/products/inde...nal-threading-grooving-tool-holder-right-hand

https://www.shars.com/products/inde...08-2v-notch-threading-and-grooving-toolholder

If you are going carbide, I would say Top Notch. I use HSS, with Cobalt, for most of my threading, grinding my own tools or using the Aloris threading tool. IMHO, HSS cuts better than carbide, for most materials. HSS Tools have, (as they put it), a more Keen edge.

I took John's advice, and I have to agree, an Aloris HSS threading tool is a great choice. It's my go-to tool for external threading. I hardly ever use carbide anymore. The blades are pre angled. To sharpen all you need to do is use a stone on the top flat face. However, the need for sharpening is pretty rare, mine hasn't needed a touch up yet. HSS doesn't need high speeds to work and consequently is a great choice for people starting out with threading. The lower speeds give beginners a lot more time to practice the necessary eye hand coordination necessary for single point threading.

I use the second link on edge style, I like that I can use grooving inserts in that one too. The third style, the Topnotch, can also use grooving inserts, so that makes those a bit more flexible as well. You can also get HSS inserts from AR Warner for the on edge style insert, those are more durable than carbide, and if you are threading slow, might work better for you.

If your lathe can turn in reverse, you can thread away from the chuck using a toolholder from Mesa tools that holds the on edge insert upside down. I use that tool, but I also built a proximity stop to thread normally and have the lathe stop at the right spot, I’m still evaluating which method I prefer. Mesa tools are good quality at a good price, I would buy those before anything from Shars.

This is the tool benmychree and wobblyhand recommended. If I didn’t already have the insert tooling, I probably would have bought this. https://www.aloris.com/aloris-produ...Holders-Blades-Inserts/threading-holder-axa-8

If you are going carbide, I would say Top Notch. I use HSS, with Cobalt, for most of my threading, grinding my own tools or using the Aloris threading tool. IMHO, HSS cuts better than carbide, for most materials. HSS Tools have, (as they put it), a more Keen edge.

For small machines, carbide insert tooling is a poor choice, look at Aloris HSS threading tools, they are simple to sharpen and will last many years.

Being new to threading, can you explain this?
My machine is a smithy granite 1324. All I have ever used (except 1 or 2 times) have been carbide insert tools. I have a set of tool holders that use the triangle inserts (tcmt-something, cant remember) and have yet to ever have a problem with them. But all I have done is regular turning with them.

Is this the tool you guys are talking about?

It looks nice, but buying the holder and the blade is going to be over $200. That is significantly higher than the other ones.
That same money would buy one of the above tool holders and a crap ton of the carbide inserts.
Not saying I refuse to buy the aloris one, but is it worth that significantly higher price, for just hobby use?
Not doing this for a living, not doing high volumes, probably will be used just a handful of times. So roughly $50 for the tool and a few inserts is more appealing than $200.

Carbide inserts are best at higher speeds and at slow speeds chip easily, threading is done at slow speeds, so HSS would be the better choice. You can use carbide, many of us do, just be aware you need to be a lot more careful to avoid chipping.

Being new to threading, can you explain this?
My machine is a smithy granite 1324. All I have ever used (except 1 or 2 times) have been carbide insert tools. I have a set of tool holders that use the triangle inserts (tcmt-something, cant remember) and have yet to ever have a problem with them. But all I have done is regular turning with them.

Is this the tool you guys are talking about?

It looks nice, but buying the holder and the blade is going to be over $200. That is significantly higher than the other ones.
That same money would buy one of the above tool holders and a crap ton of the carbide inserts.
Not saying I refuse to buy the aloris one, but is it worth that significantly higher price, for just hobby use?
Not doing this for a living, not doing high volumes, probably will be used just a handful of times. So roughly $50 for the tool and a few inserts is more appealing than $200.
Only you can decide what your budget affords. But if you buy decent things, they tend to last longer, at least that is my experience.

No, I was recommending the AXA-8 holder and P10 blade. I think it is a sturdier combination than the AT-8. For hobby use, I find it unlikely you will ever wear out or replace the blade. If it wears at all, a simple touch up is all that is required. If you need to do 8 TPI threads, then get a P6 blade. The P10 will do 10 TPI and higher. I found some used blades that were perfectly good. I guarantee you will chip the carbide inserts in the beginning. I did. The HSS blades hold up very well, you won't have to replace them. For coarse pitch threads, you can adjust the helix angle, which is pretty nice. Depending on the grade and brand of insert, the helix adjustment may be built into the insert. Cheap one's won't have that.

I'm a hobby machinist too. I don't regret buying the AXA-8 one bit. As I have stated earlier, it is my go-to for threading because it works so well, and requires practically zero maintenance. I do have some insert threading tools, but I rarely use them any more, since the AXA-8 is more rigid and simple to use. Your mileage may vary, but I have been very happy with my AXA-8. It's real easy to get suckered into buying tooling for the shop that looks good on paper, but ends up not being the bargain you expected. I've been in the same position as you, only about a couple of years ago. I was glad I took the advice of @benmychree , an extremely experienced and talented machinist and valued contributor here. He was right, the AXA-8 is a great tool for the job.

I enjoy cutting threads on a lathe.
I learned to grind a HSS tool bit long ago and that's what I still use.
I have an indexable carbide thread cutting tool and have tried it but always go back to HSS.
Carbide likes higher rpms.
With hss the process is slower, more leisurely, less stressful.
Especially if cutting up to a shoulder.
Get yourself a fish tail try grinding one.
It really ain't that hard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230806-065534.png
    Screenshot_20230806-065534.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Back