My Stuck Chuck Dilemma

I got a dog plate stuck due to interrupted cutting. Heck of time getting that off (compared to a chuck, which has many ways to get it off)

I got a dog plate stuck due to interrupted cutting. Heck of time getting that off (compared to a chuck, which has many ways to get it off)

Just clamp Zengineer's bar to the faceplate and have at it with the air hammer or your favorite persuader.

It's off! :phew:

I first placed a small piece of wood between one of the chuck jaws and the bed to stop the chuck from rotating when using the wrench to turn the spindle. To make the wrench I took an oak 2x4 I had and drilled a hole for the spindle and two 1/2" holes perpendicular to the spindle hole. I ran 1/2"x4" bolts thru the small holes. Voila!, the Splatwrench was born! :D
The spindle coming out the back of the headstock (far left) goes into the hole in the Splatwrench, then tighten up the bolts. With a 3/4" turn and some help from my Dad up in Heaven she broke loose. From there on I was able to loosen it by hand.

The spindle threads were pretty clean. Just a hint of crud. The chuck threads were pretty good but up towards the inner end of the threads there was a lot of crud. I sprayed both the spindle and chuck threads with PB Blaster before taking these shots:
View attachment 37336View attachment 37337

Here's the estimable Splatwrench :biggrin::

View attachment 37335

No broken back gear teeth, no heat, or hammering anything. Just a lot of PB Blaster and the Splatwrench! Thanks for stickin with me. You guys really do rock! :drink2:

Interesting to read this post. In the shop where I worked the chuck became seized on the threaded spindle of a King 12" lathe, everything short of destroying the lathe was tried without success. Heat, levers,bars, etc. The boss did not want to turn it off so it lives on with a frozen chuck doing work suited to it's now lowly station in life, which brings me to the reason for making this reply.

I have a nice 10" SB toolroom lathe with a 2-1/4" - 8 nose. The usual method I used to get the chuck off was to engage the back gears and give the chuck a tap. Post doing this one day, the lathe would no longer drive the spindle. Yes, you guessed it, the drive pin in the bull gear snapped. This required a headstock teardown and $142 for SB to send me a new one. Once burnt twice shy. I made a steel plug with key to fit the back end of the spindle and attached a 15" arm to it. Now, whenever I knock a chuck off, that device goes into the spindle and is braced down to the chip tray, and the drive pin is disengaged and back gears are out.

A threaded nose spindle story.

For what it is worth
Canuck75

Back