My Stuck Chuck Dilemma

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well gents, I can't get my 6" Bison 3-jaw chuck off my new-to-me 1957 Heavy 10L to save my life. Yes, I've seen many how-to's on the subject but she's still stuck...which means I am too! :eek: I don't have the motor hooked up yet and anyways, I've read you shouldn't use the motor to try to get the chuck off as you might damage the gear teeth from the sudden shock. I have a piece of square stock in the chuck yet my strap wrenches on the cones ain't doing squat. :mad: Would it be foolish to use a big pipe wrench placed at the end, smooth part, of the spindle to give me better grip on it? Thanks.

PS, forgot to mention I tried removing the chuck from backplate. Got all the socket head screws out but still the chuck wouldn't budge. I think there's smaller screws maybe still in place but I can't see down the holes.

Last edited:
I read on another forum where a fellow chucked up a bolt and used an pneumatic impact driver to loosen the chuck. Sounds plausible

Hmm... may try that yet! I just tried a big pipe wrench on (A) the take up nut; (B) then tried at the end of the spindle; both times I tried with either a metal square bracing one of the chuck jaws or with the square locked into the chuck and turning it with another pipe wrench. Nothing is not working. I removed all the socket screws again from out of the backplate. There are what look to be 1/4" threaded holes and I see metal at the end but think it's the back of the chuck and not a pin.... still can't get the chuck off the backplate either. I got a feeling they mighta used red threadlocker or who knows what else when they put this chuck on. Thinking about heating the backplate collar where its threads should be.... :thinking:

Last edited:
Thinking about heating the backplate collar where its threads should be.... :thinking:

Any chance of setting up a heat gun to the area. Best if direct heat not applied. Lock tight gets gummy real quick with a bit of temperature rise. If the impact is used on a chucked bolt, look for a way to anchor the shaft w/o gear lock. It doesn't take much. On a lathe, even a wood cone tapped in the shaft end, glove held, can make the difference.

Can you post a picture of your chuck setup and maybe someone will see something that will help get it off.

Here's a few pics. I had already taken the square bar out and wrenches off...

IMG_2062.JPG IMG_2066.JPGIMG_2067.JPG

The only #s I can see on the chuck are 5324 and underneath that 96. On the backplate are #s M40, 523, R26.

I better make sure here so lemme ask.... You go up (towards machine back) with wrench on spindle, and down (towards front) with the chuck, right? :eek:

IMG_2062.JPG IMG_2066.JPG IMG_2067.JPG

Any chance of setting up a heat gun to the area. Best if direct heat not applied. Lock tight gets gummy real quick with a bit of temperature rise. If the impact is used on a chucked bolt, look for a way to anchor the shaft w/o gear lock. It doesn't take much. On a lathe, even a wood cone tapped in the shaft end, glove held, can make the difference.

I'm thinking heat next, too. How about a pipe wrench on the end of the spindle shaft?

You can try the pipe wrench, I don't know if you can get enough grip w/o causing jaw damage to the shaft. An impact can apply a measured amount of force if you can secure something in/on the shaft with a bolt in it. Least amount of damage too.

Before you use any heat, I'd soak it a couple of days in Kroil or other good penetrating oil.

Randy

My chuck had not been off in many years and I had to rebuild it. Tried many things with no success then finally ground a bolt to fit the pinion head snugly.
Put everything in low and had a friend hold the end with a strap wrench to take some of the pressure off the gears.
Gave it a good whack with a 2 lb deadblow hammer and it popped right loose.

Now I use a little anti seize on the threads and has never stuck again.

Good luck
Geno

Geno, I searched but didn't find what the pinion head is. What is the pinion head? Thanks.

Back