My New Shop

DSU = Designated Spousal Unit (carry over from military days many years ago)

Now I fig that ( contex clues 1800 hrs) didn't rem the words tho .. Now now if I can only designate mines to invest some of her free time into future id be alille better off. ya know those are nice machines don't furget the pics .. I thick I already asked but whats ya gona do In shop

Here are the first pics of my new PM 12x36.

First is a shot of the base cabinets lying on the crate for the 12x36. The one nearest
me is for the tailstock end. They are relatively heavy sheet metal with flat bar stock
welded on for the lathe to rest on. The TS cabinet contained the reservoir and pump
for the coolant. It was not secured and just rattled around--no damage apparent.
You can see where the fork just touched the side of the crate down low.
Base Cabs.jpg

Next is a pic of the lathe mostly out of the crate. If you look closely, you can see a set
of green hearing protectors--for size purposes. I am still amazed at just how much
bigger this thing is than my old 9x20.

Coming out.jpg

This is the back side of the lathe with most of the accessories still installed. The tool
box was removed as well as the brake lever, the face plate, and the tool post set. I
have since removed the steady, follower, TS, 3 Jaw, and the chuck guard. I guessed
that the chuck guard might get damaged/broken during the lifting process. Two allen
head screws to remove the assembly, and then one screw to remove the micro switch,
and then tape the wires & switch to the HS out of the way. No pic of that operation.

Rear.jpg

The gear end. I removed the gear train cover, and was surprised that it is plastic or
fiberglass.

Gears.jpg

The machined surfaces were mostly covered with heavy oil. I wouldn't call it
cosmoline, rather a very thick oil. I only did a very preliminary wipe down today.
I got started on my version of the base. I got the band saw tuned up nicely and cut
most of the parts. I wanted to go outside to wire brush/sand all the pieces. Every
time I got close to starting, the heavens opened up and it rained like crazy. Late in
the afternoon or early evening, I was able to get both of the base rectangles for the
base cabinets to set on cleaned and welded together. I started on the holes for the
attaching bolts, and the leveling feet when the DSU informed me that it was time to
quit. So, a Single Malt Scotch and a hot Jacuzzi made me feel much better.

More as it occurs.
Jerry in Delaware

PS--I really don't have any definite plans for this shop and machinery. I mostly just tinker and have fun.

Last edited:
IMO tinkering and having fun is what this 'hobby' stuff is all about. I already have a day job.

Looks like you're having fun already. :D

Christmas in July! :)

Congratulations that looks like a great machine.

-brino

"Nice " Im getting sort of jealous again .. maybe I need to get me one of those machines can do much more right?.. think ill have a few days to decide / upgrade Again .. and wow Jer u even have a DSU invite you in to retire for the night Mines was sleepin when I got home from work .This was my dinner I ended up/w tonight . Keep pics coming lovin the Shop

DSCF1053.JPG

Jerry u have to stop posting pics ....lol........now had to come back for 2nd view and my 2nd look turned into "lust" Guess I cant handle looking at these beautiful Pcs of Equipment . (Fine looking machines ) without wanting one... I have/ had a 10x 27 on my shopping list was gona upgrade to A 10X30 (Matty is out of the 10x30) AND NOW IM LOOKING AT 11X27'S AND 12X36'S.. I think I need serious help now ... would a shouda couda decesions decisions . Wish I can just retire now get what I always wanted fiddle stay out of trouble and be content . Thanks for listening only confessing to my brothers .
Btw Thanks for your all u guys counsel in advance

The newest installment concerning my new shop.

The PM 12x36 showed up a couple of weeks ago. No damage discernable. Got it into the shop and the top off the crate.

Next came a series of days getting new countertops for the kitchen for the DSU (& me, too). Needed to fab some support brackets for the breakfast bar. Seemed like a pretty easy task. I cut the material (3/8x2.0 SS) {yeah, I know--kinda-sorta overkill, but they look nice}. Clamped the pieces to a machined 90 degree block and TIGed them up. Nice looking welds, I think.
Bracket.jpg
I never checked them for square (bad plan) after releasing them from the angle block. TIGed in a 45 support brace (3/8x1.0 SS), and when I went to install them (insert nasty, unpure thoughts & words here). They were so far out of square as to be unusable. So, I ground out the weld from one end of the 45 support and cut the rear of the 90 and stretched the angle till it was truly 90. That required an extension to the 45 of about 5/16. Made that change to all of them and got them all TIGed up, and they look surprisingly OK.
Bracket2.jpg
Spent a bit of time with my pal Google, and learned about the nasty tendency of SS to warp when welding. I suppose that I should have known about that, but "Oh Well". Anyway, the PM932 worked great for beveling the ends and drilling the bolt holes.

For the last couple of days, I have been building the base for the 12x36. My design is similar to the one by Gary K. (Next several pics) After getting the rectangles TIGed up, I started to drill for the leveling feet. I experienced a senior moment, and drilled for a foot at each corner of one of the rectangles. WRONG!!
Base1.jpg
I only planned on two leveling feet per rectangle. I had only ordered 4 of the feet. I had already TIGed on two nuts (in the corner) shown in the pic before I caught my mistake. So, instead of grinding them off, I just left them as a reminder to be more careful. One piece of the tubing had a considerable dent in it just where I planned to weld the nut. Knowing that it would be impossible to get it flat, I decided to scab a piece of 3/16x2 onto the tube and then welded the nut to that piece. Also, it will insure that the weight of the lathe does not collapse the tube. I obtained most of my material from a semi-scrap/metal yard here in Delaware. Everything is rusted pretty badly--considerable wire brushing and sanding to get down to shiny metal--totally useable, just a lot of extra work.
Base2.jpg

Now, before I get a lot of grief about the number of support/leveling feet, think about the following. The base cabinets are sheet metal. They sit on 2 inch square tubing that is approximately 1/8 inch thick. The tubing (rectangles) has ½” grade 5 nuts & bolts holding it to the base cabinets. There is a 3/16x2 piece of steel welded to the rectangle with a grade 5 nut welded to it. The leveling feet are 1/2x13 bolts and are listed as capable of supporting 5000 pounds each. The rectangles are welded to each other via another section of the 2 inch tubing. My reasoning behind this arrangement is to eliminate the possibility of too much rigidity in the base while still retaining a lot of strength. Since I have not got it assembled to the lathe yet, I cannot comment on the results. {Update: All seems OK as of this morning when I got it all assembled--further down in this blurb.}

If my design proves unsuitable, I can modify it relatively easily.

BTW, the chain hoist in the ceiling is amazing. I do not recall if I described it in an earlier post, so here it is. I wanted to lay a 4x6 on the rafters of the shop. The lumber yard near me only had them in 12 foot lengths. So I have a 12 foot 4x6 lying on the rafters and lag bolted into them. I drilled a ¾ inch hole down through the 4x6 (it is installed so that the 6 inch dimension is vertical) and installed a ¾” all thread through it. I placed a very large washer and nut on both the top & bottom of the beam to prevent rotation of the all thread. Down in the shop, I have a cast steel ring eye that has a ¾” threaded hole in it.
Chain Hoist.jpg
The 1 ton chain hoist with 10 foot chain is suspended beneath. It would be much nicer if it were moveable similar to a gantry crane; however, not in this lifetime.

With the lathe hanging from the chain hoist, and while getting the lathe, the base cabinets, and the rectangles all assembled so I could measure for the connecting tube (between the rectangles), I encountered a problem. The bolt on the headstock near the lead screw will not go into the hole.
Bolt Will Not Fit.jpg
The gear box blocks the hole. Has anyone else experienced this? What (other than leaving this one bolt out) is the solution?

Solution: Obtain longer M12x1.75 bolt & thread up from the cabinet through the support and the lathe foot. Install washer & nut as bolt comes through lathe foot and tighten nut. (Note to self—must figure some way for self to remember how it comes apart if necessary to remove it at future time.)

After getting it all mounted to the cabinets & base, some cleaning (lots of cleaning) was needed. Did a preliminary cleaning to most of the machine and accessories. Lubed everything and fired it up. A bit more noise than I had hoped for; however, not terrible. The 4-jaw chuck jaws are very tight in the slots. Takes both hands on the wrench to turn it. I removed all of them and gave them each a good cleaning and oiling and then replaced them. I tried the tightest jaw in all 4 slots and left it in the one that required the least torque to turn. So, one is really tight, one is so-so snug, and 2 are OK.

Got tired of cleaning, so I decided it was time to move it to its new home. That proved somewhat exciting—I’m a one man show here. Here is how I accomplished it. Lifted the machine (including my homemade base, but without chuck or TS) with the chain hoist. Positioned the hydraulic engine lift under the lathe and lowered it gently so that the HS end sat squarely on one of the legs of the engine hoist, while the TS end was a bit diagonal.
Moving1.jpg
Removed most of the tension from the chain and gave it a really good shaking—almost no wobbling. Removed the chain and quickly attached the engine hoist chain and took up some tension. So far, so good. Rolled the whole thing toward the wall where it will live. Now, how the heck do I get it off of the engine hoist? (Insert another senior moment here—BTW, this is occurring around 7AM.) For some reason, it never dawned on me to turn the whole mess 90 degrees and then rotate the lathe so that I could just lower it to the floor (NO, I’m not an engineer). I blocked both ends and then moved the engine hoist to each end and lowered each end separately (Does sound like an engineer method, doesn’t it?).
Lowering.jpg
Anyway, other than a lot of extra work, it proved successful. So with a bit of assistance from Archimedes (the lever guy), it is now happily resting in its new home.
Home.jpg
Before going back to the house for a well deserved coffee, I got out the Starrett level and did a prelim leveling (no, I am not of the school that it must be perfectly level—just close suits me fine.) Got it really close in about 15 minutes. I’ll check for bed twist soon.

The next operation will be to install the back-splash, & possibly the chuck guard, and of course, more cleaning followed by more cleaning.

Well, that is probably more than sufficient for this episode.

Jerry in Delaware.

Love you're blocking on the tailstock end. Good problem solving too :)

Back