My neighbor called the police on me for noise pollution

I was thinking more in the line of a big pliers to pull the bug out of his butt.

Bruce
Lend them a D9 so they can do a rectal-crainomtery

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

After his second appeal was turned down (same lady complaining and welling up fake tears at the hearing) my neighbour said "screw it I will build according to the law of the land"

Now he has 4 x 750 sqft shops as close to the lady as possible and he cut down all the trees that would impede her view of the lovely black corrugated sheet metal of the sides of two of his shops. He now finds having his 4 out buildings works well (he adapted) for his purpose and the front porch sitting lady pretty much sees SFA.
That is similar to what I am doing. I tried to go through the county, to get permission to get a shipping container, and put a roof on, and paint it to look like a building, but One neighbor complained (The county insists a container is industrial, and I live in a residential zoned area). I do not need a permit to add as many 120 sq ft or less sheds. So eventually I will have a row of 120 sq ft sheds two stories high. Will cost me a lot more, so I will only do a few a year.

After all the years of working retail, and living in a city, I understand why people hate people. The codes inspector in our area is nice, but he still has rules and a boss he has to go by.

No respect for others is Not how I wanted to begin my response. Perhaps, inability to tolerate others (within reason) would be better. I've had live band practices in an apartment (no later than 9pm) for years: Until that 1 neighbor moved in. I've also lived in an apartment where not even an acoustic could be tolerated. I am blessed to be where I am & even recorded an album here - but always respected the neighbors, turned it all off by 9pm & even adjusted my schedule to account for the nightshift neighbors. A Lot can be done between 4 & 9 in the evening!

As for light noise, you could try to lower your garage door part way & set up a fan to help exhaust fumes. If it's just noise below acceptable dBs, let them call the police - you'll get to have them explain to your neighbor how silly they're being.

In other news: I hope your wife if licensed to watch kids. Not having that in order could land you in more trouble than you have now.

I have a whiny neighbor directly across the street in the residential neighborhood that I live in which happens to be single family homes.

Today I was working on the lathe and playing some country music. The music wasn’t even very loud, and I don’t think parting steel makes too much noise.

I stopped the work to take my son to work and drop off my timecard, and when I got back my wife told me that the police had showed up because he called in about the noise.

Obviously, it would’ve been very quiet when the police officer got here. The complaint was called in about 4 PM.

My neighbor complains about a lot of other people in the neighborhood. He is a retired mailman. If he has any hobbies, I have not seen evidence of that.

I am leaving home for two months, so this won’t be a problem until I get back. I will still be working in the shop on the weekends, but I guess I can wear headphones.

He has also complained to me twice about the light from behind my welding curtain. I guess a welding curtain isn’t good enough.

I honestly just think he is bored and his hobby might be complaining.

I would be inclined to confront him and tell him to chill out, but my wife doesn’t want me to say anything to him because she runs a daycare out of our house so she has an additional interest in keeping the peace.

Have any of you guys experienced this? I leave the garage door open for light and ventilation.

I called the police station, and they said not to worry about it. There was no follow up to be done.

I have lived in this city all my life, and all the neighborhoods that I have lived in always had people working outside, in the garage, music playing, kids playing outside, etc. I honestly don’t see this guy’s side of the story.

I think that the way that this will end up is it if he calls the cops again and I am doing what I do in the garage, then the police will end up telling him that I’m not doing anything wrong.

What I do in my garage is not a business. People ask me to do work for them, and I tell them that I don’t have time because that is true.

I just don’t get it. The only thing that makes sense is that he is a whiner.
I been doing mechanic all my life in home but every time a neighbour ask me for help I was alway's there to find trere problem's most time for free. I alway's care about the noise like music, grinding 'impact wrench, when I use them for a short time I close my door's. Some person's are jalous and mean but if every body like you they will take care of you,and some will say watch that guy he will complaint agains you. Good luck

Since this has become an anecdote thread of a kind, here's another story:

My Friend Rudy was about to build a garage workshop on his 3 acres. His neighbour was building a big shop/garage/barn on his larger acreage (around 5 acres, I think) He got all the approvals, got permission to build. even got written permission form all adjoining neighbours. THEN the fun started. A neighbour one away complained to the rural council 3 days AFTER the shop was built. He became the PITA for the council, who then ordered him to tear down HALF of his quanset. (to a Sq footage less than surrounding quansets). After 3 appeals, he finally tore it down and had all this unsightly building material all piled on his property.

Now enters the silver lining. It turns out that the smaller size suited him anyway, and he sold the remainder of the quanset to my friend. We are now in the process of erecting a really nice 40 foot wide shop on his property - with easy pre-approvals, as his is exactly the same size as the order, and less than others in the area.

Nothing this power-tripping neighbour can do: and now he has two quansets facing his property instead of one!

Yeah, I don't miss Santa Rosa one bit. Spent about five years there.

My personal experience is that people who have to deal with proper winters are generally too busy to care much about what their neighbors get up to.
But proximity creates busybodies. The best neighbor is one you never see!

EDIT: Not trying to perpetuate an anti-CA streak here, just saw the preceding post. Maybe this is a blue-red state effect
Not to worry TW, you and Randy do have good points. But one thing this thread points out nutbars are not just concentrated here in CA if you read all the threads. Between crazy zoning laws and what I can only call obstructive neighbors it doesn't matter if you are in the north, south east or west in town or out in the boonies. Red or blue it only takes one and there is no reason or rhyme to it.

And for the record I apologize for getting my knickers in a bunch over a past thread.

I will do this tomorrow, but I will only stand on the sidewalk in front of his house. I wish I had a decibel meter.

I recently downloaded a free decibel app on my phone. Its called DecibelX. Might be just what you need.
Chuck

Back