My neighbor called the police on me for noise pollution

i'm sorry, but escalation is the only way to freedom.
DO NOT change your behavior to suit this jerk off's ego
if you are acting within the law this piece of dung can pound salt.
you live in a country that provides rights, and pursuit of happiness - regardless of what or who disagrees with them.
show this guy, by telling him that you are not going to take his crap any longer.
Explain, that you will do, what you like, when you like to do it, and if you have a problem, call the police.
if you can, tape the interaction- be calm rational and,
for the love of God- stop asking his permission to do what you want.

Seriously, imagine cops and the real situations they deal with...now imagine them getting a call because the light was too bright in neighbors garage, or the lathe was too loud (you would have to be doing something terribly wrong) in that same garage. Laugh it off. Sooner or later the cops are going to tell this man what your rights are. You really have no worry...and it will eat at this sissy mans craw.

Its not always that simple. I know of one police department that has a policy that if they are called out, someone gets a ticket. Most of which are sent in the mail, They will ask you to turn it down, then a few days later you get a ticket in the mail. To give nothing, or a warning, they have to notify their superrior before they leave the scene. They know most people will just pay a ticket, rather then fight it. How do you prove days or months later to a judge that you were not as load as the officer says, that has notes saying different. Tickets equal more income for the department.

Since this thread borders the issues of California as the root of all problems, living in the country as a solution, and complaining neighbors:

A guy on a survivalist forum was railing against California as being the root of all his problems, so he moves to eastern Oregon. He buys something like 5 acres with a stream, then dams it up so that he'll have plenty of water in the event of TEOTWAWKI (Google it), and that's when his troubles started. The local county told him that he can't block off the stream, and he freaked out, ranting about the government, saying he was a freedom loving patriot and had the right to do whatever he wants. So I couldn't help asking, "So if I buy the acreage upstream of you, I have the right to dam it off, right?" No response.

Better cover your ass as far as the welding flash goes.
If he claims his eyes are messed up from your welding he will be able to find a lawyer who is more than willing to file frivolous lawsuits.
Do you really want to wager your time, savings and assets on proving him wrong?
The noise? You can setup a webcam and recorder to cover for that.
Flash damage to a person staring at welding flash?
How do you prove that the person didn't suffer damage? He lies - you lose defending yourself.

Better cover your ass as far as the welding flash goes.
If he claims his eyes are messed up from your welding he will be able to find a lawyer who is more than willing to file frivolous lawsuits.
Do you really want to wager your time, savings and assets on proving him wrong?
The noise? You can setup a webcam and recorder to cover for that.
Flash damage to a person staring at welding flash?
How do you prove that the person didn't suffer damage? He lies - you lose defending yourself.

I will definitely be putting an opaque covering over my welding curtain when I get home. Also, I can listen to my music on headphones, no problem.

As for the noise of metalworking, we will see if he calls solely on that. Maybe I’ll have to permanently close my garage door and put up a soundproof barrier on that entire wall.

Having said that, nobody else has complained about my light or noise. I have two teenagers who work graveyard sleeping in the bedroom adjacent to my shop; they say that they cannot hear me.

Also, my wife runs a daycare in our house, and those kids are sleeping for three hours in the middle of the day; my wife says that she has never heard me the whole time we have lived there. I could go on and on: my mother-in-law lives in a room directly above my shop, and she said she can’t hear me. All of the people that walk by on the sidewalk are very friendly and I very often get a smile and a wave.

I had said that we called the bored & whiny neighbor Baby Chris, but I found out his name is Pat. So we call him Crybaby Pat.

I am out of town for a few months, but my wife says that she sees crybaby Pat come out of his house, look at our house, look up and down the street scrutinizing what is going on, and then walks back in the house a few times a day. He probably misses me because he has nothing to complain about.

Last edited:
Back