My first lathe!! Old South Bend.

That should quiet up your back gears quite a lot. Just be sure to check the profile carefully. Put on some blue and run for a minute or two and check for uneven blue removal. File down the spots that are shiny in one place.

I ended up just finishing a similar repair on mine with a few differences. I made some threaded studs (6-32) out of brass and used JB weld to mount them closely together being a bigger diameter than the threaded portion.

I then milled it rough over-size ( I did not use the mill to cut the proper shape of the tooth) while my backgear was still set up on the mill. Then filed to semi fit the spare spur gear I bought as a backup plan.

Used the blue dykem referenced by SLK. Took a while to get a good final fit while I test ran it by hand and then under power as I got the fit closer. Tested it doing some cuts in backgear. Seems to work fine. Hope it holds up well.

Thanks to this thread, I tried the repair and gained some new experience.

awesome, great to hear feedback like that, it adds to the body of knowledge. That repair looks really solid ADM, bet that's saved you a bunch of cash and hassle finding a replacement!

Reactions: ADM
Great repair! I did a similar thing, but without the TIG brazing. Somehow, I couldn't get it to work. I will try practicing, but meanwhile, it is working just fine.

Rookie question. Any idea what chuck I have here? (I didn't notice any markings, but I will take another look.) What is a good source for jaws? I need some that have the steps on the outside so that I can work on small parts closer to the spindle.

Attachments

• Chuck 1.jpg
    Chuck 1.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Chuck 2.jpg
    Chuck 2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 19
  • Chuck3.jpg
    Chuck3.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Don't know what chuck brand; but, finding jaws for it is like finding a needle in a haystack. My 1979 Taiwan lathe only came with 1 set of jaws and they were the same configuration as yours. I tried to find jaws for it. Finally just bought a new chuck.

I’m with ShagDog on this.
Buy an inexpensive (was gonna say cheap, but they are actually well made)import 5” 3 jaw chuck.
Money well spent.
The only downside is you will probably have to machine a new back plate then spend lots of time cleaning all of the cast iron off/out of your new lathe.
Above all, have fun

I agree, even if you know the make of the chuck, you may still have a hard time finding jaws. I have 3 Atlas/ Craftsman 618 lathes, none of the jaws will interchange between them, even though the chucks look the same.

Rookie question. Any idea what chuck I have here? (I didn't notice any markings, but I will take another look.) What is a good source for jaws? I need some that have the steps on the outside so that I can work on small parts closer to the spindle.

Bad news on the jaws. They are fitted to the chuck at the manufacturer - that's why each one is numbered with both the slot number and a partial serial number of your chuck. The original jaws are probably sitting in a box on a shelf back at the original owners place.

Back