My first lathe!! Old South Bend.

Not sure what to remove the grey paint with & not take the paint off the badge, maybe somebody will have an idea.
Looking @ your pics it appears your half nuts (from what i can see) are in good shape.
You can find change gears as you need them.
I think motorcycles, gunsmithing, welding & all things mechanical are interests we all share.
Be advised you will now be wanting a mill to add to your tools, and the Rabbit Hole can be deep, ask how I know.
Cheers & have fun.

Attachments

• D0FD3136-D276-429E-A295-312050B93EFA.jpeg
    D0FD3136-D276-429E-A295-312050B93EFA.jpeg
    892.3 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: ADM
Don't waste $100+ on that kit. The oils you need are readily available, any 0 to 10 will work for the spindle and moving parts, something heavier like chain saw oil for the ways. You can buy felts from mcmaster and cut your own or just clean and reuse what you have. That lathe is so simple, there is no need for a "rebuild" instruction guide, everything you need to know is available on these forums, youtube and the web. The only part you may want to buy are the spring loaded felt oilers in the spindle - I was able to clean and reuse mine in several South Bends over 70 years old.
Without change gears you won't be able to single point different threads but that may not be an issue for your type of work, more important will be the lack of ability to change feed rates. You can attach a handle wheel to the leadscrew on the tailstock end or attach a variable speed motor to accomplish this without gears. You could also 3D print your change gears - there are some available on thingaverse.

Last edited:
Been taking things apart and cleaning it up. Came across a broken tooth on the cone pulley. I'll look into a local machine shop to fix it but obviously picking one up on ebay would be easier and probably cheaper. I do see several listings for cone pulleys for the Heavy 10; will those fit my 9?20210423_134029.jpg

I do see several listings for cone pulleys for the Heavy 10; will those fit my 9?

No.

Your lathe is older than most 9", so you might have to look real hard for a replacement. And that is your BACK GEARING, not a cone pulley.

Look for the topic South Bend 9a Back gear, this thread may answer some of your questions.
EDIT; It is under Machine Parts Wanted

Last edited:
I actually think it is the cone pulley gear that shows the broken tooth in the photo. If you can't find one, it might or might not (???) be repairable with another gear. My 9a has the backgear small gear missing a tooth, and the plan is to machine the small gear to allow fitting of a 24 tooth 16 pitch spur gear (bored out) on my backgear.

I'd try and fix that one first. You may need to take the cone pulley off the spindle first, but you may be able to do it on the spindle if you can find out how thick it is AND you are very careful. All you need to do is drill and tap where the tooth should be for maybe 2-3 8-32 screws, then carefully grind them into the same profile as the other teeth. If you want to get fancy you can build up around the screws with JBweld first. It'll look a little prettier but won't be functionally that different. If you're worried about that tooth affecting your back gear, use brass or alu (if you can find them) screws.

Perfectly valid repair and no real harm in trying as long as you don't drill through into your spindle (hence, be very careful). It's not like you can screw that missing tooth up any more than it is already is it?

I'd try and fix that one first. You may need to take the cone pulley off the spindle first, but you may be able to do it on the spindle if you can find out how thick it is AND you are very careful. All you need to do is drill and tap where the tooth should be for maybe 2-3 8-32 screws, then carefully grind them into the same profile as the other teeth. If you want to get fancy you can build up around the screws with JBweld first. It'll look a little prettier but won't be functionally that different. If you're worried about that tooth affecting your back gear, use brass or alu (if you can find them) screws.

Perfectly valid repair and no real harm in trying as long as you don't drill through into your spindle (hence, be very careful). It's not like you can screw that missing tooth up any more than it is already is it?
That's a good idea. I have the cone pulley off the spindle; I just might try that myself. Maybe TIG in some silicone bronze around the screws before grinding to shape?

Back