My First Lathe - HF 9" x 20"

Amazon has them at 1/2 the price... I must confess that I went a bit crazy... found them in blue, my favorite color, and ordered two of those as well...

Staedtler 2.0mm Mechanical Pencil Night Blue Series (925 35-20)
Staedtler 2.0mm Mechanical Pencil Silver Series (925 25-20)

So I have one silver, two in blue... all metal... and 1 in blue that is plastic... :eek:

I have the blue plastic ones, yeah, they have plastic bodies but that style has been around forever (at least forever as measured from my perspective). I also grew up with the classic Pentel mechanical pencils so plastic doesn't bother me.

Pentel P200

Weird that the link to makers cabinet doesn't play nice with an ipad, maybe try googling Makers Cabinet and see if it makes any difference? It seems like i stuff is very picky, maybe it doesn't like that the link was made on a Windows computer. I know my Wife's iPhone will occasionally ignore texts from my Android phone.

I have the blue plastic ones, yeah, they have plastic bodies but that style has been around forever (at least forever as measured from my perspective). I also grew up with the classic Pentel mechanical pencils so plastic doesn't bother me.

Pentel P200

Weird that the link to makers cabinet doesn't play nice with an ipad, maybe try googling Makers Cabinet and see if it makes any difference? It seems like i stuff is very picky, maybe it doesn't like that the link was made on a Windows computer. I know my Wife's iPhone will occasionally ignore texts from my Android phone.
I had seen that Iris before... but it was too $$. Beautifully made, but I could not bring myself to spending what they were asking for it...

MC_Product_Aesthetic_081721_05-1_550x.jpg

On the lead holders, plastic does not bother me, my Pilot is mostly plastic, but it has a nice weight to it, love that about it. That and the fact that it retracts/hides the tip. But it is .5mm... I had never used one with a 2mm lead... looking forward to use them.

Yep that is the one, I think I'm going to make something like that. I won't help in the slightest for motivation to build my die filer, but it looks pretty handy. How did you secure the die grinder to the stand?

If you were so inclined to make a more detailed thread showing how it was made I'd be interested. ;)
Here ya go Aaron, hope it helps and thanks for asking.

I had seen that Iris before... but it was too $$. Beautifully made, but I could not bring myself to spending what they were asking for it...

View attachment 412895

On the lead holders, plastic does not bother me, my Pilot is mostly plastic, but it has a nice weight to it, love that about it. That and the fact that it retracts/hides the tip. But it is .5mm... I had never used one with a 2mm lead... looking forward to use them.
Never seen that before. Saw it on the homepage makers but because it kept reloading had no idea what it was. Very cool.

These are not as cool as that iris, both made me jump on them when I found them in local antique stores. The protractor is a true antique, note the manufacture date of Dec. 2 (18)99. It was buried in a case with random stuff for $25. The other I think is Japanese from the 70’s. Actually used several times now for evenly spacing during layout.

Attachments

• CD8292BC-471E-4BAD-BF12-5DAE5386D6D4.jpeg
    CD8292BC-471E-4BAD-BF12-5DAE5386D6D4.jpeg
    953.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 2808701A-97B0-4BE4-8AE8-307BE6578C70.jpeg
    2808701A-97B0-4BE4-8AE8-307BE6578C70.jpeg
    375.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 670D727D-4FED-4636-A182-0B1F8BB1D56E.jpeg
    670D727D-4FED-4636-A182-0B1F8BB1D56E.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 0DCB6EE1-E8AB-4705-85E2-10654818CB31.jpeg
    0DCB6EE1-E8AB-4705-85E2-10654818CB31.jpeg
    462.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 3506DE8A-3B51-490C-851F-70B4EA95E570.jpeg
    3506DE8A-3B51-490C-851F-70B4EA95E570.jpeg
    521 KB · Views: 101
Any input from me is probably superflous, I don't take "pretty" machinery very seriously. There is a question/subject hanging where one is looking for drop rollers to lift, move, and then securely stop a machine on a table/bench. It strikes me that the rollers and feet do not necissarily need to be together. Go by Harbor Freight and pick up some 4 inch swivel casters for moving the machine. Then "finagle' a lifting device for the bench or whatever to lift the casters off the floor a quarter inch or so. It won't be pretty, but will solve the problem. . . cheap.

This comment kept me thinking... so I searched for alternatives to the casters that it comes with... I will replace them with these... This way I can move it when needed and then drop and level it in place.

View attachment 412885
I have some leveling casters (cheap ones) but for me I think the next lathe bench I build will have metal wheels and separate leveling feet. It's just too fiddly to spin that leveling wheel at the back of the lathe since mine is all the way up against a wall. Perhaps if I had easy access to the back of my machine they would be better but that's kinda why I need casters in the first place.

BTW, consensus seems to be that Carrymaster makes the best ones in this style.

John

Serial number puts it as 1946. I'm not seriously hunting for a wood lathe but I've been keeping my eye open for a Delta like that, it would be a nice companion for my 1950s Delta / Homecraft jointer.
@Aaron_W looks to be from the 60's based on what I have been able to find... earlier lathes had a different tailstock... double ball crank vs a wheel... serial number plate changed over the years...

I ordered two pulleys, a 3/4" x 24" shaft (to cut to length), oil wick material, etc...from McMaster to fix the mess previous owner did on the pulley/jackshaft...

What mine looks like...

IMG_6591.jpeg

Broken pulley...

IMG_6671.jpeg

What it is supposed to look like...

Pulley configuration.JPG

No wonder it runs forward when the switch is set to Reverse... it is being driven from the wrong side of the motor shaft..

Anyway... will not derail this thread any more... I started one on the other website to track this project...

@Aaron_W looks to be from the 60's based on what I have been able to find... earlier lathes had a different tailstock... double ball crank vs a wheel... serial number plate changed over the years...

I ordered two pulleys, a 3/4" x 24" shaft (to cut to length), oil wick material, etc...from McMaster to fix the mess previous owner did on the pulley/jackshaft...

What mine looks like...

View attachment 413382
Broken pulley...

View attachment 413383

What it is supposed to look like...

View attachment 413381

No wonder it runs forward when the switch is set to Reverse... it is being driven from the wrong side of the motor shaft..

Anyway... will not derail this thread any more... I started one on the other website to track this project...

I was basing the date off of this list of serial numbers, but just a quick glance so may have transposed something.

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/DeltaSerialNumbers.ashx

Back