My First Lathe - HF 9" x 20"

looks good. going to take the castors off? I would have to as I'm height challenged.
This comment kept me thinking... so I searched for alternatives to the casters that it comes with... I will replace them with these... This way I can move it when needed and then drop and level it in place.

Retractable Leveling Machine Caster.jpg

Well, was not able to buy it last night. Their system was down and I did not have enough cash on me to get it...

I did compare their Yukon line and the ones at Lowes (went there afterwards) versus the US General. The US General is thicker gauge and with better construction. Definitely the one to get... I will try again tomorrow...

Okay, but what really picked my interest from the recent posts, is that pencil and sharpener setup... I want to try that.. I am a sucker for vintage tools... and this is one that I can use often...

Found a few sharpeners on Ebay... and bought one...
View attachment 412881

View attachment 412882

Now to find a good mechanical pencil and leads that works with it...

EDIT: Well, noticed there are different variations of the sharpener... bought a second one that is slightly different. There were inexpensive, so not a big deal... Now I can have one on my desk and one in the garage...

View attachment 412883

EDIT:EDIT: Well, if it works for @C-Bag ... :D Not risking it... just got the same one in a kit and some spare 2B and 4B leads...

View attachment 412884
The sharpener is in the old original box, crazy.

The sharpener is in the old original box, crazy.
I know, right!?

This is what I currently use (never mind the mess, lol). Battery operated sharpener and regular pencils. It is going to be great going back to a mechanical pencil and that vintage sharpener. Really looking forward to it.

IMG_6610.jpeg

This comment kept me thinking... so I searched for alternatives to the casters that it comes with... I will replace them with these... This way I can move it when needed and then drop and level it in place.

View attachment 412885
I bought some knock offs of CarryMasters. The rubber feet are too soft, so the tool cabinet sways, ie, it's not rock solid. This is with 350-400lbs in the cabinet. I've heard that the CarryMasters are far superior.

I know, right!?

This is what I currently use (never mind the mess, lol). Battery operated sharpener and regular pencils. It is going to be great going back to a mechanical pencil and that vintage sharpener. Really looking forward to it.

View attachment 412886
It will be interesting to see what you think. My son ended up with the little plastic sharpeners instead of the old cast iron one.

It will be interesting to see what you think. My son ended up with the little plastic sharpeners instead of the old cast iron one.
I am pretty sure that I will like it a lot... as mentioned, I am a sucker for vintage tools and using them, not just for decoration.

What I noticed is that the pencil I ordered is plastic. I thought it was all metal. So I went ahead and order the Staedtler 925 25-20 2mm as well. It is supposed to be all metal (aluminum) and even the lead holder tube is brass...

Pencil-2.jpeg

Pencil-Brass.jpeg

Pretty sure it makes no difference in use, but should feel better with a bit more weight...

Jamie, the way you use the sharpener is you extend your lead out quite a bit, stick it in rotate it holding the pencil, and when you have a nice point you retract the lead back. I never go for super sharp, no tip lasts when it's that sharp, it's too delicate. These don't break tips as much as regular pencils.

I have a hint for you: When I remember, I sharpen the other end of the lead before putting it in. So when I get to the end of the lead, I can flip it for one more point. Because you are never near the lead supply or sharpener when you need that last little bit.

kids... man they never learn the value of good things... ;)
That includes us, we're old and don't know anything, until they get old enough to realize maybe we did/do know a thing or two... but then we're too old and forgetting 5 - 10 things per day. :rolleyes:
With my kids I’m always amazed they listen to me. I think the big life changing moment was when my son was about 7-8 and his crazy cousin got a bb-gun and was bugging him to get one too. She was the female equivalent to Eddie Haskell:( She would talk my two into doing bad stuff and stand there innocent when they got caught. She also would supply my two with stupid arguments and lies when caught. It was the usual crap I used when a kid so I knew who the ring leader was.

We just want to target practice. I told him, this is what will happen. First you’ll set up some targets, then within 5min she’ll get bored and start wanting to shoot birds, then she’ll get you over shooting up grandma’s old car behind the shop. My son was horrified and said that would never happen. So his mom bought him the crappiest bb pistol at WallyWorld because I refused to participate in this fiasco.

That night my son came to me and said “dad you were right. It happened EXACTLY like you said! When I tried to stop her from shooting the poor birds(not a hunter) she went over and started shooting the windows in Grandma’s car! “ Of course that’s when Grandma saw them because she came out to water her garden. Of course Edwina Haskell got away with it even though she was caught shooting the windows. She told Grandma right there my son talked her into it.

When my son told me he wanted to become and artist I gave him my old stuff and bought him the books and whatever supplies he needed. One day he’s working out of his first “How to Draw Marvel Comics” book and looks up at me with tears in his eyes and says “I’ll never be any good at this”. I replied with the old saw(which at 11yrs he’d never heard) art is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration, it’s just plain old hard work. He sat there looking at me for a long time as the gears ground and I never heard another complaint. He would only ask me, now what? The big one for me was anatomy and as luck would have it the local bookstore was blowing out “ An Atlas of Anatomy for Artists” hardcover for $15! I didn’t know it was THE bible for anatomy. Took him almost a year to work his way all the way through that book all on his own. I think he was 13-14? Like his old man an auto didactic. He went digital on his own working in the comic industry then went Indy. His weird sense of humor is his own and this is his YouTube.

I bought some knock offs of CarryMasters. The rubber feet are too soft, so the tool cabinet sways, ie, it's not rock solid. This is with 350-400lbs in the cabinet. I've heard that the CarryMasters are far superior.
Ohh... so these are knock-offs as well... The feet on the CarryMasters are made out of ALDC12 (aluminum die cast). The ones I linked to, those are made out of nylon.

4 CarryMasters with shipping is, :oops:, US$272.65 - but even in photos you can tell the difference in the build quality

AC1300F_Big__31168.jpeg

Thank you for letting me know. I will still give these knock off a try... I can buy all four for the price of one of the CarryMasters. I know, that should tell me something, but I will give them a try...

With my kids I’m always amazed they listen to me. I think the big life changing moment was when my son was about 7-8 and his crazy cousin got a bb-gun and was bugging him to get one too. She was the female equivalent to Eddie Haskell:( She would talk my two into doing bad stuff and stand there innocent when they got caught. She also would supply my two with stupid arguments and lies when caught. It was the usual crap I used when a kid so I knew who the ring leader was.

We just want to target practice. I told him, this is what will happen. First you’ll set up some targets, then within 5min she’ll get bored and start wanting to shoot birds, then she’ll get you over shooting up grandma’s old car behind the shop. My son was horrified and said that would never happen. So his mom bought him the crappiest bb pistol at WallyWorld because I refused to participate in this fiasco.

That night my son came to me and said “dad you were right. It happened EXACTLY like you said! When I tried to stop her from shooting the poor birds(not a hunter) she went over and started shooting the windows in Grandma’s car! “ Of course that’s when Grandma saw them because she came out to water her garden. Of course Edwina Haskell got away with it even though she was caught shooting the windows. She told Grandma right there my son talked her into it.

When my son told me he wanted to become and artist I gave him my old stuff and bought him the books and whatever supplies he needed. One day he’s working out of his first “How to Draw Marvel Comics” book and looks up at me with tears in his eyes and says “I’ll never be any good at this”. I replied with the old saw(which at 11yrs he’d never heard) art is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration, it’s just plain old hard work. He sat there looking at me for a long time as the gears ground and I never heard another complaint. He would only ask me, now what? The big one for me was anatomy and as luck would have it the local bookstore was blowing out “ An Atlas of Anatomy for Artists” hardcover for $15! I didn’t know it was THE bible for anatomy. Took him almost a year to work his way all the way through that book all on his own. I think he was 13-14? Like his old man an auto didactic. He went digital on his own working in the comic industry then went Indy. His weird sense of humor is his own and this is his YouTube.

This is so cool. My daughter is a visual development artist... Finished her Masters last year. She is doing small projects for now until she finds a job.

Last edited:
Back