My First Lathe - HF 9" x 20"

Ohh... so these are knock-offs as well... The feet on the CarryMasters are made out of ALDC12 (aluminum die cast). The ones I linked to, those are made out of nylon.

4 CarryMasters with shipping is, :oops:, US$272.65 - but even in photos you can tell the difference in the build quality

View attachment 412890

Thank you for letting me know. I will still give these knock off a try... I can buy all four for the price of one of the CarryMasters. I know, that should tell me something, but I will give them a try...
Hey, if they work it will be good. If not, use them for something non-critical.

For mine, the top moves if I lean against the tool cabinet, which I find both annoying and distracting. At some point I will replace mine, because when it comes down to it, they suck. I will probably have to make a new adapter plate for the bottom as the decent casters probably have a totally different hole pattern. Here's a bit of advice, if you can do this. Take out the drawers and flip your cabinet over, and fit your casters/CarryMasters. You may find you need to make an adapter plate. It's a lot easier to do this when you can see everything! Let's say that I did it the other and harder way!

Hey, if they work it will be good. If not, use them for something non-critical.

For mine, the top moves if I lean against the tool cabinet, which I find both annoying and distracting. At some point I will replace mine, because when it comes down to it, they suck. I will probably have to make a new adapter plate for the bottom as the decent casters probably have a totally different hole pattern. Here's a bit of advice, if you can do this. Take out the drawers and flip your cabinet over, and fit your casters/CarryMasters. You may find you need to make an adapter plate. It's a lot easier to do this when you can see everything! Let's say that I did it the other and harder way!
Can you say exactly what sux about them specifically? I remember you saying the pad was soft….is the frame loose? Nothing that can’t be fixed? My 9x20, surface plate and the new flat file are the only tools not on castors, on purpose.

Can you say exactly what sux about them specifically? I remember you saying the pad was soft….is the frame loose? Nothing that can’t be fixed? My 9x20, surface plate and the new flat file are the only tools not on castors, on purpose.
I am thinking, worse case scenario, I make those pads out of aluminum... well, worse case scenario I buy original CarryMasters if these do not work out...

well, worse case scenario I buy original CarryMasters if these do not work out...
at $280 for a set my scarce hard earned $$ can go to much better use. Yeah, I’m cheap. I bought some scaffold double locking castors to put under my antique screw press and there is no movement/wobble once set. They were 1/3 of the $$. I guess I’m glad the OO figured out how to make that bench for the 9x20 not wobble before I found it on CL.

at $280 for a set my scarce hard earned $$ can go to much better use. Yeah, I’m cheap. I bought some scaffold double locking castors to put under my antique screw press and there is no movement/wobble once set. They were 1/3 of the $$. I guess I’m glad the OO figured out how to make that bench for the 9x20 not wobble before I found it on CL.
I am guessing that for now they will work fine... when I finally move everything to Ocala, then I might just remove the casters and use leveling pads... and not even bother with something else.

So those are mechanical pencils that you still need to sharpen the lead!?

I was not familiar with those…

This style I often see referred to as lead holders, differentiating them from the more modern style of mechanical pencils. I recently dug out my drafting supplies and added some new stuff. I also bought an older 1960s engineering drawing textbook to help refresh my mind and they used the term semi-automatic pencil for this style which has a nice ring to it. :)

Well, was not able to buy it last night. Their system was down and I did not have enough cash on me to get it...

I did compare their Yukon line and the ones at Lowes (went there afterwards) versus the US General. The US General is thicker gauge and with better construction. Definitely the one to get... I will try again tomorrow...

Okay, but what really picked my interest from the recent posts, is that pencil and sharpener setup... I want to try that.. I am a sucker for vintage tools... and this is one that I can use often...

Found a few sharpeners on Ebay... and bought one...
View attachment 412881

View attachment 412882

Now to find a good mechanical pencil and leads that works with it...

EDIT: Well, noticed there are different variations of the sharpener... bought a second one that is slightly different. There were inexpensive, so not a big deal... Now I can have one on my desk and one in the garage...

View attachment 412883

EDIT:EDIT: Well, if it works for @C-Bag ... :D Not risking it... just got the same one in a kit and some spare 2B and 4B leads...

View attachment 412884

I just have a plastic one which is all they seem to sell these days, and I can't seem to find the old metal one I used to have. ebay didn't occur to me for some reason, off a shopping I go.

These guys make some very nice stuff, kind of spendy but they do have decent (15-25%) sales occasionally, I picked up the IRIS circle template about a year ago during a sale. It has proven to be handy. Like everything else their prices have gone up significantly, but the quality is very good. Also good for ideas if you happened to know a guy with some tools...

https://us.makerscabinet.com/

I am guessing that for now they will work fine... when I finally move everything to Ocala, then I might just remove the casters and use leveling pads... and not even bother with something else.
I’d be interested on a detailed review when they come. They don’t make good small double locking castors at an affordable price I’ve found. But I’m weird. I’m replacing most of my castors with cast iron wheels as they roll easier on cement. But I also keep the floor clean.

These guys make some very nice stuff, kind of spendy but they do have decent (15-25%) sales occasionally, I picked up the IRIS circle template about a year ago during a sale. It has proven to be handy. Like everything else their prices have gone up significantly, but the quality is very good. Also good for ideas if you happened to know a guy with some tools...

Wow, that site totally flipped my iPad out and just kept reloading over and over :(

This style I often see referred to as lead holders, differentiating them from the more modern style of mechanical pencils. I recently dug out my drafting supplies and added some new stuff. I also bought an older 1960s engineering drawing textbook to help refresh my mind and they used the term semi-automatic pencil for this style which has a nice ring to it. :)

I just have a plastic one which is all they seem to sell these days, and I can't seem to find the old metal one I used to have. ebay didn't occur to me for some reason, off a shopping I go.

Amazon has them at 1/2 the price... I must confess that I went a bit crazy... found them in blue, my favorite color, and ordered two of those as well...

Staedtler 2.0mm Mechanical Pencil Night Blue Series (925 35-20)
Staedtler 2.0mm Mechanical Pencil Silver Series (925 25-20)

So I have one silver, two in blue... all metal... and 1 in blue that is plastic... :eek:

Back