My First Lathe - HF 9" x 20"

I also like collet chucks. I prefer 5C on the lathe for small parts. It can grip very short amounts in the collet and get away with it. Also the nose of the 5C chuck is very friendly to hands working right up against it for polishing. I have a spin indexer & collet blocks in 5C also The drag on 5C is the very narrow range of each collet. I have one hex & one square 5C collet. My collet chucks have "set true" adjustments.
I have ER40 lathe chuck & R8 to ER40 for the mill, I use it to hold some metric end mills and taps that I don't have R8 collets for. The ER collets have enough range that the inch set I have will also work for metric tools and parts. I've considered getting ER40 collet blocks, again for their greater range. Maybe when I get set back up. Damned rabbit hole!

Day went by too quickly… did not get a chance to machine this…

IMG_4611.jpeg

I will finish it the next time I am in Orlando

Would this setup be easier and cheaper to implement?

LMS 2231 3MT ER-32 Collet Chuck
1708456241350.png

I plan to use one of these and an ER-32 3/16" collet to enable accurate holding of 3/16" end mills for a Grizzly G4000 I ordered. These will be used with a milling attachment and screwless vise to enable light, small part milling on the lathe

View attachment 479194
I plan to use one of these and an ER-32 3/16" collet to enable accurate holding of 3/16" end mills for a Grizzly G4000 I ordered. These will be used with a milling attachment and screwless vise to enable light, small part milling on the lathe

Easier, yes, but you lose the ability to run stock into the spindle bore. For use with endmills that won't be an issue, but down the road when you find you want to use collets for holding work, you may find that a disadvantage.

View attachment 479194

Easier, yes, but you lose the ability to run stock into the spindle bore. For use with endmills that won't be an issue, but down the road when you find you want to use collets for holding work, you may find that a disadvantage.

This ^^

It is really not that much work to machine the backplate to fit the ER32 (or ER40) collect chuck... and you are then able to run stuck through the bore (limited by its diameter, of course)

Oh, and I ended up ordering the ER32 setup...

Got it, thanks for that Aaron_W

OK to tap the MT3 collet holder into the MT3 tapered spindle for locking it into place? Then tap out with a non-marking rod from the back of the spindle when finished with it?

And my 3MT was not as accurate as it should have been. I cleaned it up with a MT3 reamer and it was better but I was able to make the ER chuck around .0005 which no matter what I did with the straight MT3 it was around .002 TIR. Easier to swap out for me too. Just all around better set up. I got the original 4” 3jaw chuck and just used the backing plate from that for the ER40 chuck.

what are you thinking about here Wachuko? Is this TAS or? Special application/project? Inquiring minds wanna know. Me, I find my flexy 9x20 not up to the job my mill/drill is better suited for. But what do I know?
I like gadgets and thought it would be cool to have it... I have the two milling machines, so I might never have the need for it, but I want to play with it and see how it works with the 9x20.

Before knowing that this was available, I was going to order the MLA-5 kit and adapt it to this lathe...

Again, this just to play...

Back