My business just got wings

Are you interested in doing repair type work, or more new parts? I used to work in the wastewater industry and they are constantly needing parts repaired or replacements made. If you focus on the repair side, they are going to want fast turnaround in some cases, they are required to have full redundancy, so that shouldn't happen too often, but they also need to have replacement parts made since OEM parts are very expensive. Chico has a big plant that would be likely be difficult to get into, but the surrounding towns might be open to talking with you. Many times the small plants get ignored by a lot of businesses wanting to get into the big contracts.

Another place to look are the equipment repair shops that service these types of plants. If it is a manufacturers rep, they will need to use OEM parts, but someone independent might be looking for someone that can make parts for them.

I’m a little behind you on this path to a hobby shop. Just received my LLC and getting the remainder of the licenses in order. I’ve done a few auto type jobs, but as benmychree says it’s tough to compete With dedicated auto machines. I pretty much avoid car guy stuff. Definitely avoid anything that carry’s a liability risk. University labs are a great customer base. Have to be a licensed business for them I’ve found. Same goes for R&D facilities. Insensitive to cost, but want it done immediately. Usually they have overflow from their internal shops. I do some repair work, but again it’s a lot of setup for a little machining. Customer has to understand that. Keep posting your experiences it will be interesting to see how business develops.

best of luck !

I've thought a brake lathe might be worthwhile as a hobby business. Modern cars have gotten away from turning drums / rotors, just replacing them instead so many shops are getting away from having the equipment. I see brake lathes for sale all the time, often fairly cheap.

Old car owners will still need to go somewhere and it seems like someone who got some ins to a vintage car club could do well. Those older cars likely might run into other things that need to be remade due to a lack of factory parts.

I read the comments of this discussion from beginning to end with great pleasure.
It makes me very happy when I read the stories of people who turned their hobby into a business.
Life becomes a pleasure in that case.
Good luck Jeff!

The adventure continues. Negotiating the government requirements and tax implications and rules. That’s the hard part for now.

University labs are a great customer base. Have to be a licensed business for them I’ve found.
What is this 'license' you speak of? Is there a road test? Do I have to use hand signals? I've been a self employed machinist for 44 years and I've never heard of a business license. I heard a rumor way back that businesses were required to 'register' with the county. Never did. Then I figured out it's just so they can collect a $75 fee and sell your contact info to marketing firms so they can send you junk mail and ring your phone. I'm sure a university would require liability insurance but I have no idea what or how a 'license' would work. Unless you happen to be a Machinist /slash/ Dog Catcher ?

What is this 'license' you speak of? Is there a road test? Do I have to use hand signals? I've been a self employed machinist for 44 years and I've never heard of a business license. I heard a rumor way back that businesses were required to 'register' with the county. Never did. Then I figured out it's just so they can collect a $75 fee and sell your contact info to marketing firms so they can send you junk mail and ring your phone. I'm sure a university would require liability insurance but I have no idea what or how a 'license' would work. Unless you happen to be a Machinist /slash/ Dog Catcher ?
At least for me they needed to have an EIN from the feds and Ohio requires you to have a vendors license and collect income tax (or exemption forms) from your customers.

You can operate a “business” without the proper licensing and insurance. You can even forgo paying sales or income tax.

But, I wouldn’t.

Unless you have no assets and aren’t afraid of spending time in the pokey it’s highly recommended to consult with a lawyer and an accountant prior to setting up shop.

John

Back