My business just got wings

Some famous quotes:

People who die of PCB exposure are usually involved in fighting fires or freebasing transformer oil. -pontiac428

It's the dose that makes the poison. -Paracelsus

Hey, let's see who can drink 3 gallons of water in 3 minutes! -someone who died overdosing on water

The ”on car” brake lathes have replaced the old school automotive lathes. They do a much better job.
Now with that said, if the customer is complaining of a brake pulsation more often than not turning the rotors will be a temporary repair. Memory.
Quality brake rotors can be had for a fairly inexpensive price considering how long they last.
My 2017 F-150 has 112,000 miles on the original brake pads and rotors with no pulsation. It took the industry about 20 years to come up with brake lining that is a good substitute for asbestos. In my opinion based on automotive repair business experience.
Do yourself a favor and buy quality oem pads and rotors.

I was thinking older vintage cars with disc / drum or drum all the way where replacement parts may be hard to find. Agree if reacements are available cheap new is better than having them turned. Turning drums would be a very niche business.

In general, thinking that things that commonly get into the air are more of a problem than a closed container of oil or a lump of lead sitting on a bench. Brake dust seems like it would easily go airborne (based on all of my car rims!), thus the question.

PCB oil is a known problem in high voltage caps. Wasn't aware of it being in older brake fluid. Guess that means being careful when I start on the '57 chevy...

In general, thinking that things that commonly get into the air are more of a problem than a closed container of oil or a lump of lead sitting on a bench. Brake dust seems like it would easily go airborne (based on all of my car rims!), thus the question.

PCB oil is a known problem in high voltage caps. Wasn't aware of it being in older brake fluid. Guess that means being careful when I start on the '57 chevy...
tetraethyl is the lead additive which was added to Gasoline, we use to call that fuel Ethyl and it was in the air and we are still seeing adverse effects from it and will likely see them for decades to come if not longer. Clumps of lead on the beach are the least of our issues. I am not a rabid environmentalist, far from it, but I do believe we should be good stewards of the world we have, at the very least we should leave it in as good a shape as we found it.

When the list came up of stuff we felt were dangerous such as carbon dust I added a few thing as sarcasm; but there are many we have used over the years that have killed many people, asbestos being an easy example to make. Most folks do not realize what is in stuff they deal with on a daily basis, simple things like the gasses released from burning plastics and how poisonous those can be. I could write an entire book on this and I suspect John Newman could put me to shame with the information he has. Hell nature has made some pretty nasty stuff all on its own...

We cannot wrap ourselves in a protective bubble and isolate from the world, its impossible; however, we can take steps to mitigate the damage and dangers, a little common sense and PPE will go a long way towards reducing our exposure. Regular folk thing nothing of it, hell if you drink enough water it'll kill ya; RIGHT? guys who live in the industrial world and have to take safety courses and carry proof they passed them understand and I have enough safety cards in my wallet to play a game of solitaire. Want an eye opener? start requesting the MSDS sheets on all the products you use for your machine work and or use in your car....

I enjoy talking to everyone of you on this forum; so, please be safe out there....

I have a friend that used to work summers stripping and painting navy ships. sand blasting and all (no masks) .. He's 80 now, I'd say all that stuff and he's still going...

I have a friend that used to work summers stripping and painting navy ships. sand blasting and all (no masks) .. He's 80 now, I'd say all that stuff and he's still going...
There are also people that smoke into their 90's - and people who die of smoking-related illnesses in their 30's. There's a reason science doesn't make conclusions based on a few cases. Everything that causes horrible cancers has had some people manage (through genetics or just plain luck) to dodge the bullet, but it doesn't mean it's safe.

How are your friends peers doing?

GsT

Back