My back hurts(knee mill height)

I bought and installed a 10 inch riser for a job years ago. Its never come out. The table is at a comfortable height, with the knee at the top of the dovetails most of the time. Downsides are I need the swivel on the vice to raise it up to reach the spindle, have to use an ER collet chuck to reach the table.

Greg

I'm 6'6" so I feel your challenge with the world being adjusted to the wrong position!

I would start with 4x4 bunks and test what height makes your back and general ergonomics most comfortable. Worst thing would be to guess and then introduce a new strain you had not anticipated.

I also use a pair of 4x4’s on my Excello. Mine run with the x axis, one in front one in back. Originally did this so I could fit a pallet jack under it, but think I’ll leave them. Im only 5’10, but I can still reach the draw bar.

Build a pallet.

Most pallet Jack's are 27 inches wide so start with good quality material.

Stack 2x4 or start with 4x4, does not really matter.

Our BP is on pallet and perfect height.

Our mistake was we used a chunk of maybe 3/16 plate to spread load but it does not cover all of the pallet we used, was going to make better one but still have not done so...

Use maybe 1.125 floor base plywood on top with lots of long correct screws.

You need 3 base straps, one each side and middle.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I'm 6'4"+ and have had the same issues. My Millport (BP clone) has a 4" riser and that's very helpful. My Bridgeport will have a base added to it at least 5" high and I may raise the Millport a few more inches with a base of some type or at least some adjustable (leveling) pads. I have had problems reaching the work when bolting it down to the table on the Millport so I don't really want a larger riser.

All good thoughts, it has been the redundancy of changing operations, dropping the knee down, bending over to bring the knee back up, bending to visualize the wiggler, etc.
1. put in the wiggler, bend over to center the punch mark.
2. put in the end mill for the rounded edge on half of the holes.
3. Super chuck with drill bit.
4. Guided tap and bit.
5. Next.
I have 16 more to do this morning after I get off here :)
I still have the Oak from the pallet it came on, hummmm...

Back