My back hurts(knee mill height)

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've done 48 hole in 2 days drill and tap with a guided tap holder, 1/2 of the holes are on a slope, so I spot face with an end mill to drill those. I have power feeds on all axes, but I'm bending over to hit the switches, or crank the handles for the multiple operations. A machinist friend wants to use non shrinking grout to build up a stand, and anchor the mill, I am not thinking about moving the machine, I just to make it higher in place. What are my options, and how high, ACRA 9 x 50? I am loving this mill...

I set mine on 4x4s. Two run front to back. (Edit: sorry, they are side to side). Then I added a 4” riser. Now the table is a perfect working height.
I’m 6’3”, and I can still reach the drawbar. But you must be “this tall” to use this mill.

Last edited:
I'm 6'2" I was thinking I would need about another ~8"s???

I'm 6'2" I was thinking I would need about another ~8"s???

If you have a power drawbar, maybe so. If my mill was another inch higher, it would be tough to get a wrench on the drawbar.

I have the power draw bar, and love it too.

I recommend putting the mill on something removeable and changeable (like wood or steel construction) rather than a fixed pedestal (non-shrinking grout or the like).

How high is completely up to you. Whatever makes you comfortable.

Another option is to get whatever will minimize the bending over. Tapping with a handle is tedious and slow. Get a tapping attachment of some type to make tapping a standup operation (not a bend over operation).

You need more tooling. :grin:

What size thread are you tapping?

Through hole or blind hole?

Tapped through or how deep?

What material?

Just for a different idea, you could make the switches remote. Put them in a pendant like you see on overhead cranes. But that seems like more trouble than blocking it up with timber or square tube.

1/4" plate 5/16 x 18 through holes using a guided tap holder. I do have tapping heads too. :)

Back