Must Have Mill Machine Accessories For A Beginner?

6in rotary table is generally too small,always running out of room to clamp.It is the setup with what one has to get the job done is what machining /machinist becomes. Lust for tools is a past time. Dollar wise unless it is a production job that pays for tool,the tool will gather dust. Put on your thinking cap and devise a setup with what is available. Most rewarding.Or collecting tools/machines becomes the hobby instead of sweeping up chips.
Keep smiling, have fun.

So, another new beginner here. What is my outlay for mill, lathe and associated tooling?

Go on. Scare me.

D.

So, another new beginner here. What is my outlay for mill, lathe and associated tooling?

Go on. Scare me.

D.

Hard to be specific without knowing Australian prices, size machines you're looking for, etc. So I'll just say:

From $$ to

Perfect answer. Probably mini mill and mini lathe. For the lathe something like a 7x20. Mill, not sure.

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk

In the USA, using Grizzly as around average prices:

Lathe -$1,250 http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-22-Bench-Top-Metal-Lathe/G0602

Mini Mill - $875 http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini-Horizontal-Vertical-Mill/G0727

or

Mini Mill - $635 http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini-Milling-Machine/G8689

Vise, quick change tool post (QCTP), collets, mills, lathe tools, measuring tools, clamps, etc. - very roughly $1,000 to $1,500.

So let us say around $3,500, not including shipping. Your mileage may vary and others are quite likely to disagree and estimate way more (but not much less).

Thanks for the info on the tote. I checked and there is a Lowes not too far that has 3 in stock. But another thanks for mentioning the Boeshield because I've been wondering what I could use to keep the machine and tooling from pitting/rusting. If there is anything I shouldn't use it on... or if there is another product I should use for certain items... let me know.

BTW, a friend will be here in an hour to help me move the mill from the garage into the workshop (ex-family room). Can't wait.

I view Boeshield as a long term rust preventative, chucks and stuff you will store and not use maybe for months or longer. Areas that are not work surfaces, underside of tables, I tend to soak nuts and bolts in the stuff during assembly. Its NOT my favorite for things in use tables or tooling as its thick and sticky, if you try to wipe some chips off its like wiping pancake syrup. I'm testing Bostik Glidecoat right now but lately I'm thinking about just mixing up a spray bottle of Tri-cool synthetic coolant and just spraying down the machine after use.

Yeah, the thick and sticky part is a turn off. I'll probably still use it on those hidden areas but you would think there has to be something out there that sprays on like a mist, doesn't run off, and lasts for a month at the very least. On of my friends is a marine surveyor and might have an idea... or knows someone who could. I'll check with him. The only consolation with my setup is my workshop is in the finished (ex)family room in the basement so it's heated and cooled like the rest of the house. Rust won't be as much of an issue there, but I would still prefer to keep that stuff coated.

Was using BoeShield the other day and kept thinking it reminded me of something. Then it hit me... chain wax for motorcycle chains. So I grabbed my can of Maxima Chain Wax and sure enough it sprays on thin and changes to a wax like film. Says the special paraffin base creates waxy film; has excellent rust protection; and doesn't attract dirt. The can is slightly larger (13.5 oz. vs. 12 oz.) and it's not only available locally but less expensive. Not trying to make any claims but in case anyone else wants to give it a try.

Reviving the thread as I am going to get a few more tools...

Looking at this 6" rotary table - eBay link - seems like everyone is using a 4" vise (already have it) and a 6" rotary table with the G0704 mill...

s-l500.jpg

Also got this as well with a set of collects... Heavy Duty 5C Indexing Spin Jig Fixture

IMG_2999.jpg

There is thread on Enco having a 20% discount today and got me thinking... I just bought my G0704... What else should I get to start??

What are the must have accessories for a beginner?

I am thinking:
Edge finder
End mill set
Combined double end drill/countersink bits

I have ordered so far:
4" Lock Down Precision Milling CNC Machine Vise No Base
.030" Dial Test Indicator High Precision 0.0005" Graduation 0-15-0 White Face
1/8" HIGH PRECISION MACHINIST PARALLEL SET .0002 STEEL 10 PAIR THIN PARALLELS
11 PC R8 Collet Set 1/8" to 3/4" Fractional High Precision
58 PC PRO-SERIES 1/2" T-SLOT CLAMPING KIT MILL MACHINIST SET 3/8-16
2 MATCHED PAIRS ULTRA PRECISION 1-2-3 BLOCKS 23 HOLES .0001" MACHINIST 123
Niagara Cutter N39260 High Speed Steel (HSS) Square Nose End Mill, Inch, Weldon Shank, TiN Finish, Roughing and Finishing Cut, 30 Degree Helix, 4 Flutes, 3.125" Overall Length, 0.813" Cutting Diameter, 0.750" Shank Diameter
Drill America DWCF Series High-Speed Steel End Mill, Polished Finish, 4 Flute, Square End, 1-1/2" Cutting Length, 3/8" Cutting Diameter, 3-1/4" Length, 3/8" Shank
Steelex M1096 Fly Cutter Set with Tool Bits
Geez that's about 3/4's of what I bought for my mill. I had no freakiin' idea I spent so much money! It sneaks up on you. No wonder the General is always beechin' about the credit card bill!

Back