Must Have Mill Machine Accessories For A Beginner?

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
There is thread on Enco having a 20% discount today and got me thinking... I just bought my G0704... What else should I get to start??

What are the must have accessories for a beginner?

I am thinking:
Edge finder
End mill set
Combined double end drill/countersink bits

I have ordered so far:
4" Lock Down Precision Milling CNC Machine Vise No Base
.030" Dial Test Indicator High Precision 0.0005" Graduation 0-15-0 White Face
1/8" HIGH PRECISION MACHINIST PARALLEL SET .0002 STEEL 10 PAIR THIN PARALLELS
11 PC R8 Collet Set 1/8" to 3/4" Fractional High Precision
58 PC PRO-SERIES 1/2" T-SLOT CLAMPING KIT MILL MACHINIST SET 3/8-16
2 MATCHED PAIRS ULTRA PRECISION 1-2-3 BLOCKS 23 HOLES .0001" MACHINIST 123
Niagara Cutter N39260 High Speed Steel (HSS) Square Nose End Mill, Inch, Weldon Shank, TiN Finish, Roughing and Finishing Cut, 30 Degree Helix, 4 Flutes, 3.125" Overall Length, 0.813" Cutting Diameter, 0.750" Shank Diameter
Drill America DWCF Series High-Speed Steel End Mill, Polished Finish, 4 Flute, Square End, 1-1/2" Cutting Length, 3/8" Cutting Diameter, 3-1/4" Length, 3/8" Shank
Steelex M1096 Fly Cutter Set with Tool Bits

I just started out not to long ago also. Things I find myself using that are not on your list are,
Full set of letters, numbers and fraction drill bits
Center drills
Center and price punch
Combonation square and 3" machinist square
6" square
V block
Scribe
Spill master cups and cutting fluid
12" dial caliper
Dykem
Small shop vac

These are some of the things that have become a permanent part of my work bench

Let me preface this by saying I am a tooloholic. I would add a set of inexpensive taps. They break and will not last as long as high quality ones, but taping a a tricky skill especially with smaller taps. As the cheap taps break by singl high quality taps to replace them. I also use my surface plate quite a bit to check and layout parts, especially if you are making sets of parts that need to be identical.

Or you could buy every cool tool you see on eBay like the rest of us tooloholics :grin:

You've already spent a good bundle, the good news is most of the rest could be picked-up "as-needed" if the budget's not there right away.
Some also depends on what work you want/need to do.

I second some covered above....
-drill bits
-squares
-calipers
-v-block and clamps

and a few others......
-ring light, or other good local task lighting
-micrometer
-some stock to start playing with.....

-brino

I just started out not to long ago also. Things I find myself using that are not on your list are,
Full set of letters, numbers and fraction drill bits
Center drills
Center and price punch
Combonation square and 3" machinist square
6" square
V block
Scribe
Spill master cups and cutting fluid
12" dial caliper
Dykem
Small shop vac

These are some of the things that have become a permanent part of my work bench

Full set of letters, numbers and fraction drill bits - Have them!
Center drills - I thought those were the same as the double drill/countersink bits. Will look for them
Center and price punch - Will add to the cart. I have one of those that you push until it clicks and makes the mark...
Combonation square and 3" machinist square - Will add to the cart
6" square - I have one
V block - Need to research and add to cart
Scribe - huh? these are the ones that pierce my fingers when I put my hand in the tool box to get a screwdriver... yeah.. I have a few of those suckers... :)
Spill master cups and cutting fluid - I just searched on these. Pretty cool! I will add to cart
12" dial caliper - have a few in different lengths...
Dykem - Yes! In the cart already!... I remember having a lot of fun when I was little, with this. My father loved to invent stuff...
Small shop vac - Got one!

Let me preface this by saying I am a tooloholic. I would add a set of inexpensive taps. They break and will not last as long as high quality ones, but taping a a tricky skill especially with smaller taps. As the cheap taps break by singl high quality taps to replace them. I also use my surface plate quite a bit to check and layout parts, especially if you are making sets of parts that need to be identical.

Or you could buy every cool tool you see on eBay like the rest of us tooloholics :grin:

Ohhh man! Do not talk to me about tooloholics... I got the milling machine because I needed to take off 1/4" material from a caliper for my bike... something I could have done with a file and patience... lol!

A set of taps is in order. Mine is in dire need of replacement due to several broken ones... I have a good quality taping wrench, but I need a new set of taps in metrics and standard...

A surface plate! that is the name of the heavyass table my dad had!! Too bad I did not know what it was for at the time... it got left behind when he moved his business... :( I remember using the blue dye and scribe to write on it, lol)...

You've already spent a good bundle, the good news is most of the rest could be picked-up "as-needed" if the budget's not there right away.
Some also depends on what work you want/need to do.

...and a few others......
-ring light, or other good local task lighting
-micrometer
-some stock to start playing with.....

-brino

-ring light, or other good local task lighting - I will need to add additional light to the area... I have a lamp just next to where the mill machine will be, but another lamp over the mill machine would be great. Good catch, thank you. I will also look for some LED task light (those ring lights look very cool, but the ones that I just found searching, are expensive! )
-micrometer - got those when I started doing the engine rebuild. Good there.
-some stock to start playing with..... Oh yeah!! that is the plan. Going to sacrifice some material in the name of learning! hehehehe

Thank you guys! Order placed.

-Edge & Center Finders; Type: Edge & Center Finder; Head Contact Type: Conical; Cylindrical; Head Diameter (Decimal Inch): 0.20; End Type: Double; Shank Diameter (Inch): 1/2;
-Blue Layout Fluid
-Layout Fluid Remover and Thinner
-Combination Drill & Countersinks; Trade Size: #4; Body Diameter (Inch): 5/16; Drill Point Diameter (Inch): 1/8; Drill Point Length (Inch): 1/8; Overall Length (Inch): 2-1/2; Included Angle: 60
-Combination Drill & Countersinks; Trade Size: #0; Body Diameter (Inch): 1/8; Drill Point Diameter (Inch): 1/32; Drill Point Length (Inch): 1/32; Overall Length (Inch): 1-1/4; Included Angle: 60
-Combination Drill & Countersinks; Trade Size: #6; Body Diameter (Inch): 1/2; Drill Point Diameter (Inch): 7/32; Drill Point Length (Inch): 7/32; Overall Length (Inch): 3; Included Angle: 60
-4 Ounce Can Cutting and Tapping Fluid
-Steel Rules; Length (mm): 150.00; Length (Inch): 6; Graduation Style: Metric
-Steel Rules; Length (Inch): 6; Graduation Style: 5R; Hook (Yes/No): No; Magnetic (Yes/No): No; Flexibility: Flexible; Graduation (Inch): 1/100; 1/64; 1/32; 1/10
-Steel Rules; Length (Inch): 6; Graduation Style: 4R; Hook (Yes/No): No; Magnetic (Yes/No): No; Flexibility: Flexible; Graduation (Inch): 1/64; 1/32; 1/16; 1/8
-Square Sets; Blade Length (Inch): 2; 4; 6; Base Length (Inch): 1-1/2; 3; 4; Number of Pieces: 3; Accuracy (Decimal Inch): 0.0008; Material: Steel
-Blue Polyethylene Spillproof Container
-Red Polyethylene Spillproof Container
-T-Slot Nuts (7/16 because I mistakenly ordered a 1/2" kit...easier to order the T-nuts); Type: T Slot Nut; System of Measurement: Inch; Tap Type: Blind Tapped; Thread Size (Inch): 3/8-16; Slot Width (Inch): 7/16; Slot Width (Decimal Inch): 0.4375
-V-Blocks; Type: V-Block; Sold As: Matched Pair; Overall Length (mm): 101.60; Overall Length (Inch): 4; Overall Width (mm): 65.09; Overall Width (Inch): 1-9/16

Last edited:
Portable lights, go to Ebay and look for "Magnetic Sewing Machine Light" for about $15.00. Someone here recommended them, I bought one, it's great, magnetic attachment, goose neck and 6 0r 8 LEDs. I'll probably get more.

Also Drill Bits....There are some drill bits you will never use, some you will need multiples of. While I won't recommend a complete set, I would recommend getting the boxes, and buying two of every tap drill, clearance (body) drill and under-size to ream drill. Then you can replace the ones that need it and not have to buy the ones you don't need. Yeah, as set of fractional drills and hand reamers up to 1/2 inch is good, too.

Back