Multi function shops

I dunno....my machines will get jealous....and then they'll always give me that sad look when I walk out there....
-brino

For what it’s worth your wife is vying for awesome partner of the year in my books :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My garage is 23’ 3”L and 18’5”W
The roof joists run widthways and so are each ~10” long. They meet in the middle and rest on a beam made of two sets of three 2x12s that run end to end down the centre.
Because of the length they need centre support so they rest on a 6x6 wooden pillar.

I’ve investigated putting long steel plates on each side of the beam and through bolting it but I’d need an engineer to look at it before I’d be comfortable doing that.
Also toyed with replacing the 2x12s with a steel beam.
Haven’t done anything about either idea.

Right now my lathe and mill sort of cluster around the pillar. In the cluster that is my garage.
You can see the pillar in this photo.
6a5d186766c27b4dca9609a236a5d90a.jpg

Man, there's so much going on there I didn't really see the post. Talk about messin wit yr feng shui! But we all got things we have to work around. Interesting that the post has ended up being your pivot point and would totally make sense if it was a jib crane.

Man, there's so much going on there I didn't really see the post. Talk about messin wit yr feng shui! But we all got things we have to work around. Interesting that the post has ended up being your pivot point and would totally make sense if it was a jib crane.

Don’t I know it. It’s a total cluster. Behind the big black tool chest is another motorcycle.
It’s a squash and a squeeze!

Last edited:
@Ken from ontario
I liked the bandsaw and grinder on the pillar idea, not sure why you deleted the pics...

The pics were not mine, I found them online, I deleted them because I did not (could not) verify the source , I just thought it would be handy to have your vise/bandsaw or grinder (or any other light weight tool) bolted to that pillar ready to use.

Only one post? Lucky, I have one every 4 feet.

I've never had a shop bigger than a single car garage so I set up my woodworking tools outside to use them. The dust produced gets everywhere if I do it inside.

I do have the benefit of having an awkward to park in carport (90 degrees to the driveway with little room to negotiate the turn) which provides me with a covered open air area more conducive to messy work. I also do any grinding here as well.
The basement which has become my shop was really just a staging area for the wood working tools, which are all of an at least semi-portable nature.

Most of my larger wood working machines are temporarily kept under the carport, until I can build a storage shed for them. Building a fence 2 years ago provides enough security that I no longer worry about them walking off which was a bigger concern than the weather which is fairly mild.

Woodworking is also a bit of a grandiose phrase for what I have, carpentry tools is probably more appropriate, a portable table saw, small band saw, miter saw, small drill press and some misc power hand tools. Most of my recent projects relate to home repair / improvement and building stuff from 2x4s, 4x4s and plywood, so not really optimized for making finely crafted items from wood although I have made some wood toys for my children.

I started building stuff from wood as a child and most of my shop classes in Jr High / High School were focused on wood, or a combination ("industrial arts"). I only had one year of a dedicated metal shop class which was primarily sheet metal work and oxy-fuel welding / brazing.
My dreams of a large well equipped woodworking shop ended when we bought a house in "the city" (pop 16,000 so smaller than what most think of as a city) which lacks the space for a large out building.
The metal working came along much later and luckily it does not require the larger footprint of wood working.

Only one post? Lucky, I have one every 4 feet.

I've never had a shop bigger than a single car garage so I set up my woodworking tools outside to use them. The dust produced gets everywhere if I do it inside.

I do have the benefit of having an awkward to park in carport (90 degrees to the driveway with little room to negotiate the turn) which provides me with a covered open air area more conducive to messy work. I also do any grinding here as well.
The basement which has become my shop was really just a staging area for the wood working tools, which are all of an at least semi-portable nature.

Most of my larger wood working machines are temporarily kept under the carport, until I can build a storage shed for them. Building a fence 2 years ago provides enough security that I no longer worry about them walking off which was a bigger concern than the weather which is fairly mild.

Woodworking is also a bit of a grandiose phrase for what I have, carpentry tools is probably more appropriate, a portable table saw, small band saw, miter saw, small drill press and some misc power hand tools. Most of my recent projects relate to home repair / improvement and building stuff from 2x4s, 4x4s and plywood, so not really optimized for making finely crafted items from wood although I have made some wood toys for my children.

I started building stuff from wood as a child and most of my shop classes in Jr High / High School were focused on wood, or a combination ("industrial arts"). I only had one year of a dedicated metal shop class which was primarily sheet metal work and oxy-fuel welding / brazing.
My dreams of a large well equipped woodworking shop ended when we bought a house in "the city" (pop 16,000 so smaller than what most think of as a city) which lacks the space for a large out building.
The metal working came along much later and luckily it does not require the larger footprint of wood working.

I totally understand where you’re at.
And honestly I’m lucky to have my space. I need to work out my wiring plan, run it and than sheet the walls. That will help me get sorted out.

Quote:

My garage is 23’ 3”L and 18’5”W
The roof joists run widthways and so are each ~10” long. They meet in the middle and rest on a beam made of two sets of three 2x12s that run end to end down the centre.
Because of the length they need centre support so they rest on a 6x6 wooden pillar.

I’ve investigated putting long steel plates on each side of the beam and through bolting it but I’d need an engineer to look at it before I’d be comfortable doing that.
Also toyed with replacing the 2x12s with a steel beam.
Haven’t done anything about either idea.

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / /

While not a structural engineer, I am capable of a little common sense construction. The idea of spanning 20 plus feet without support gives me the willies. IF you were to replace the 3x2X12s with steel, an "I" beam, it would have to be so wide (height, thick, ?) that with an 8 foot ceiling you would be bumping your head far too often. Unless you were small as my wife, 5 ft nothing. And it would require a massive column at each end, not just a notch in a block wall. Think about what is above, too. Living space or roof. Either will load up in the center if(when) the beam sags.

Further, if you want to consider a hoist, give some thought to the "cosine" pressure against the post. It would be well worth the idea of building a concrete block post to deal with the side load of a hoist. You have a wooden "lollie" column now. Probably a 4X4, maybe a 6X6 if you're lucky. In either case, unless the concrete floor is poured around the column, you wouldn't want anything stronger/heavier than perhaps a clothsline hooked to it. Such a column supports well over the length, but not so well for a side load. Cosine is the wrong word, perhaps tangent would fit better?

I don't mean to come off as a "naysayer", just put a lot of thought into what you're considering.

.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Why did you delete your excellent comments?

Been trying to figure out something for lifting things too . As I get older things seem to be getting heavier lol .

I took some time to do some @darkzero inspired CAD and laid out the big items in my shop.
Each square is 6”
The items are probably accurate to an inch or two.
This is immensely helpful to a visual person like me.
ad3567612758c6070d64f2a5920ff999.jpg

Last edited:
Back