Multi function shops

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi all, I'm graaaaaadually getting my garage in order; last night I delivered three bins of wood cutoffs to my step-sons school where they have a maker-space.
I'm trying to manage a bunch of machines and other stuff; Unisaw, lathe, mill, 10 wood bandsaw, jointer, planer, 4x6 horizontal bandsaw, welder, motorcycle lift, and two motorcycles in a 21'x18' space that has a pillar smack dab in the middle.
After the scrap wood bins were gone I took a hard look at my tablesaw. it's about 6' wide which gives me 32" rip capacity.
I'm wondering who else has small multi-function shops and how do you manage all the machinery?

Hi all, I'm graaaaaadually getting my garage in order; last night I delivered three bins of wood cutoffs to my step-sons school where they have a maker-space.
I'm trying to manage a bunch of machines and other stuff; Unisaw, lathe, mill, 10 wood bandsaw, jointer, planer, 4x6 horizontal bandsaw, welder, motorcycle lift, and two motorcycles in a 21'x18' space that has a pillar smack dab in the middle.
After the scrap wood bins were gone I took a hard look at my tablesaw. it's about 6' wide which gives me 32" rip capacity.
I'm wondering who else has small multi-function shops and how do you manage all the machinery?
Not very well... Motorcycles are going to need to go into a shed. :grin:
Benchtop planer, 6" Jointer, and two other tablesaws are out in the shed, and while I'm trying to re-arrange the shop all my bench grinders and the latest bandsaw are under a lean-to tarp outside.

Depending on how your center post is setup you might be able to task that as a jib crane...

I'm giving some consideration to building an extension on the front, basically a small single car bay for the motos.

The jib crane is a cool idea, the post is at the mid-point of the 3-ply 2x12 beam that runs down the centre. It's been a pain but I ran power to it so it's serving a useful function now. But I like the crane idea a lot.

As you mature in this hobby you will find that metalworking has a way of becoming your main focus. That means you either have to make more room or the wood working stuff has to move out. You think I jest, eh? Watch, it will happen. You see, metal working is not about metal working; it's about you becoming more than you currently are and that growth is addicting. Happened to me and I've seen it happen to other guys, too. Remember I told you about hobby shop equilibrium? This is what I meant.

I have an empty space at my warehouse 3 miles away. It might be a hobby shop someday. Debating on whether to rerent it or not.

As you mature in this hobby you will find that metalworking has a way of becoming your main focus. That means you either have to make more room or the wood working stuff has to move out. You think I jest, eh? Watch, it will happen. You see, metal working is not about metal working; it's about you becoming more than you currently are and that growth is addicting. Happened to me and I've seen it happen to other guys, too. Remember I told you about hobby shop equilibrium? This is what I meant.
Yes, I can see this slowly happening already. Other than my saw I haven't fired up any wood tool in ages.
I can definitely relate to the growth aspect. I feel like I've read more technical material in the last few months than I have in previous years. Defiitely growing my math skills!

MM Dave I'm you support person to help you feel good about making space. :)

One word--wheels. Oh, and I ditched the table saw in favor of a Festool MFT plus a Jet 14" bandsaw. Even though I didn't have a big table saw (it was an Inca, so pretty small footprint), it definitely wasn't earning its keep in space consumption. I probably should get rid of my 18/36 Performax sander as well, but it tucks away nicely and when you need it you need it. Currently I have a car that needs some work taking residence in the middle of my shop, so that definitely cramps functionality. I sold my Harley and don't miss it.

It's not the most convenient, but generally I'm not doing wood and metal at the same time, so a few minutes to shuffle the "tool Tetris" isn't a huge deal.

You think I jest, eh? Watch, it will happen. You see, metal working is not about metal working; it's about you becoming more than you currently are and that growth is addicting. Happened to me and I've seen it happen to other guys, too. Remember I told you about hobby shop equilibrium? This is what I meant.
Mike,
I don't know about you, but I can quit anytime I want! :D

Right after I get that new lathe...

Back