Multi function shops

One word--wheels. Oh, and I ditched the table saw in favor of a Festool MFT plus a Jet 14" bandsaw. Even though I didn't have a big table saw (it was an Inca, so pretty small footprint), it definitely wasn't earning its keep in space consumption. I probably should get rid of my 18/36 Performax sander as well, but it tucks away nicely and when you need it you need it. Currently I have a car that needs some work taking residence in the middle of my shop, so that definitely cramps functionality. I sold my Harley and don't miss it.

It's not the most convenient, but generally I'm not doing wood and metal at the same time, so a few minutes to shuffle the "tool Tetris" isn't a huge deal.

Thanks, everything is on wheels except for the lathe and mill.
I’m giving serious consideration to cutting down the tablesaw fence to provide 24” rip capacity from its current 33” capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will find you migrate from metal back to wood, kind of like a bowling ball in a lane with the bumpers up. It's just nice to be able to use a tape measure and get all the precision required once in a while.

I was looking at the tape measure on the tablesaw fence rail wondering why it doesn’t have 64ths on it :D

And it's handy to have the dial indicator to set the blade square to the miter gauge slot in the same shop. I think it's interesting how guys who do metal at work play with wood at home, and vice versa. Being able the work in both is handy - storage and shelves are better wood projects.

Thanks, everything is on wheels except for the lathe and mill.
I’m giving serious consideration to cutting down the tablesaw fence to provide 24” rip capacity from its current 33” capacity.

Do not modify the table saw at all by lessening it's capacity.
You will come to regret it. +30" rip is sweet.
You'll have a project 5 years from now where you'll be glad to have the 33" capacity.

Maybe this is so obvious as to be stupid to mention but my neighbor down the street has a big old Unisaw. It has a top on it and is his main work bench. The top just sits on it with edging around it and if it's clean takes two seconds to pop off.

Maybe this is so obvious as to be stupid to mention but my neighbor down the street has a big old Unisaw. It has a top on it and is his main work bench. The top just sits on it with edging around it and if it's clean takes two seconds to pop off.
I guess I could make it official and put a top on it. It seems to be covered in flotsam all the time anyway...
Genius idea :)

Power Hacksaw — Keller model 3WA to be exact. My friends have shall we say “ refined “ senses of humour sometimes...

-f

Back