MT4 Adapter spun in spindle, how do I clean up the spindle taper?

For what it is worth, I measure the MT4 dead center taper at 0.05173"/inch. 0.12933" in y, over 2.5000" in x. This is 0.0002" off from the spec in the Machinery's Handbook (0.05193"/inch). This could be my measurement error, I need to measure it again. Think the MT4 dead center will be fine, but I will measure the taper again. Maybe something wasn't as clean as it should be.

I've never used a lathe that did not accept tangs in the tailstock. Would not be much use otherwise if all the tangs on your tooling had to be removed.
Agreed I thought it was odd that he mentioned having to grind the tangs off tools for a SB lathe.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

OP here. I don't have a SB lathe. I have a Grizzly G0752Z lathe. It has a MT4 in the headstock, and a short MT3 in the tailstock. Tailstock has no provision for a tang, period. I looked in the hole, it is designed for no tang.

OP here. I don't have a SB lathe. I have a Grizzly G0752Z lathe. It has a MT4 in the headstock, and a short MT3 in the tailstock. Tailstock has no provision for a tang, period. I looked in the hole, it is designed for no tang.
Yeah, we got off on a tangent there. Sorry...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The G0602/G0752 tailstock will accept an MT3 Morse taper with a tang. You just lose 1" of tailstock travel.

The G0602/G0752 tailstock will accept an MT3 Morse taper with a tang. You just lose 1" of tailstock travel.
More accurately, one could say, there is no anti rotation feature or tang specific socket built into the tailstock, at least what I see. At the expense of tailstock travel, one can insert a MT3 taper with a tang.

More accurately, one could say, there is no anti rotation feature or tang specific socket built into the tailstock, at least what I see. At the expense of tailstock travel, one can insert a MT3 taper with a tang.
True. My lathes have not had that feature. Several years back, I got into a rather heated discussion on another HM thread as to the purpose of the tang on a Morse taper. The contention was that the purpose of the tang was to eject the taper by means of a wedge driven through a slot in the spindle. My contention was that if the tang was not intended as an anti-rotation device, there wouldn't be a need for the key shaped feature. It would be cheaper to make both the taper and the socket without the keying feature. The opposing argument was that a properly seated Morse taper is locking of its own accord and therefore a tang locking feature would be redundant. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any supporting documentation either way so the question remains open. The taper was invented c.a. 1860 and there is no easy way search for a specific patent by descriptoion, inventor, etc. You literally have to go through the patents, one by one to find the one you're looking for.

A lathe has a lead screw to drive the quill so there is no need for a slot to drive a tanged taper out

A Morse taper is a self locking taper and properly seated it has enough friction to drive the tooling. The tang is for ejecting the tool using a drift through a slot in the quill. Most tailstocks have a slot for a drift to use if the tool is too tight for the handwheel to eject. The keyhole shape in the spindle is not to drive the tang, it is simply a result of the ejection slot cutting through the bore. If the lathe tailstock does not have a slot for a drift then there will be no keyhole shape in the bore, this does not mean tangs can't be used.

Back