Mill power feed has died; what do I check?

Has the table stopped moving but the motor still runs? If so, stripped gears are a possible cause. If a set screw is used rather than a key, i5t may have loosened. If the motor stops after a revolution or two, it may be an open winding on the armature. A slight rotation of the motor shaft will start it running again bur as siin as a load is put on the motor, it will stall on the open winding again. Past that, you get into the speed control wher a number of faults can cause your problem.

Quinn Dunno at BlondiHacks did a tear down and troubleshoot video on a power feed like that....
Thanks, I'll check this out.

One I have, the problem was the stopping switch on the table sticking not allowing it to power further. Just a thought ;)
Thanks. That doesn't seem to be the issue; I checked the stop and it doesn't appear to be sticking.

By any chance does your unit have a little neon bulb in it? Somehow I seem to remember that the bulb needs to be exposed to light. It's being used in an unconventional way. If the bulb recesses or falls inside the case the unit stops working. Check if you have a small hole in the housing on your unit. I'd guess it is about 4-5mm. Looks like a LED. It's on the bottom right corner, wire passes by at 11 o'clock.

Now being a Vevor, this may have been stripped from the electronics. However, these feeds are an old established design, maybe they didn't mess with it.
No bulb. That's an odd feature.

The symptoms go along with that of worn brushes in a motor although I do not know if it actually has a brushed motor. I would
disassemble the thing and see.
Brushes look fine.

Has the table stopped moving but the motor still runs? If so, stripped gears are a possible cause. If a set screw is used rather than a key, i5t may have loosened. If the motor stops after a revolution or two, it may be an open winding on the armature. A slight rotation of the motor shaft will start it running again bur as siin as a load is put on the motor, it will stall on the open winding again. Past that, you get into the speed control wher a number of faults can cause your problem.
I can't see any stripped gears.

How do I check for an open winding? Electrical is not my strong suit, so if you could explain it to me like I'm a 5-year old, that would be much appreciated! Ha!

I can rotate the motor by hand easily. I can also rotate the shaft connected to the mill easily enough.

Last edited:
I took the motor apart. It did the same thing when unconnected to the mill table: ran, then stopped, ran a shorter time, then stopped. It behaves like it's getting some sort of load and stopping before it overheats. Again, electronics is not my strong suit.

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure:
DSC01121.JPG

DSC01122.JPG
The parts all move in and out and rotate freely, and nothing is chipped or broken.

DSC01123.JPG
The plastic zip tie on the motor is broken, but this doesn't seem to be a cause of anything.

DSC01124.JPG
There was nothing I could see that was loose.

What else should I check?

Would any other pictures help?

Can you spin both the motor and the big gear? Do they spin freely?

If you have a multimeter or voltmeter, connect it to the wires going to the motor. If the voltage remains when the motor has stopped, the problem is in the motor, If the voltage goes to zero or some very low value when the motor stops, it is in your control board.

I would be surprised if a thermal cutout would kick in after only a few revs. An over current protection device (e.g circuit breaker) might.

If you have a multimeter or voltmeter, connect it to the wires going to the motor. If the voltage remains when the motor has stopped, the problem is in the motor, If the voltage goes to zero or some very low value when the motor stops, it is in your control board.
Can you spin both the motor and the big gear? Do they spin freely?

So I would connect the multimeter to the wires coming FROM power to the motor (they are red and blue) and turn the power on, and take a measurement, correct?

Yes, I can spin the motor and the big gear.

Back