Mill power feed has died; what do I check?

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I bought a Vevor x-feed for my Rong-Fu mill awhile back and it has stopped working. It was fine, until it wasn't.

It started going a bit slower when I was using it. Now, when I turn it on, it moves about 2 revolutions, then stops. It will then not move at all, even if I shut it off and on. The power light remains on. No circuits are tripped.

I checked to see if the gibs were too tight (they are loose), the wires (fine), switch seems to work, nothing seems to be binding on the mill, and I can crank it by hand with no issues.

Any ideas where I should start to check? I figure I've got nothing to really lose if I need to disassemble it.

I also realize it's a Vevor, so I probably got what I paid for.

Thanks!

Some pictures, since I know we all like pictures:
DSC01119.JPG DSC01120.JPG

I bought it in Feb, 2021, so it's out of warranty.
Bummer. I'd tear it down and see if you have any bad connections inside. Also check if there are any moving parts that need lubrication. You might get lucky and find out it just needed to be greased.

John

Bummer. I'd tear it down and see if you have any bad connections inside. Also check if there are any moving parts that need lubrication. You might get lucky and find out it just needed to be greased.

John
I'll do that and post some pictures if I can't tell if anything is amiss. I also posted about buying one.

Quinn Dunno at BlondiHacks did a tear down and troubleshoot video on a power feed like that....

By any chance does your unit have a little neon bulb in it? Somehow I seem to remember that the bulb needs to be exposed to light. It's being used in an unconventional way. If the bulb recesses or falls inside the case the unit stops working. Check if you have a small hole in the housing on your unit. I'd guess it is about 4-5mm. Looks like a LED. It's on the bottom right corner, wire passes by at 11 o'clock.
PXL_20230126_140305096.jpg
Now being a Vevor, this may have been stripped from the electronics. However, these feeds are an old established design, maybe they didn't mess with it.

Last edited:
The symptoms go along with that of worn brushes in a motor although I do not know if it actually has a brushed motor. I would
disassemble the thing and see.

Back