Looking to get a 6-jaw for my PM1236

I am currently looking for a new lathe chuck for my 1340GT, the stock 3 jaw is out .008". :mad:

You might check out Grizzly prices for 3 and 6 jaw lathe chucks, now that they carry Bison and Pratt Burnerd:
$211 - Bison D1-5 adapter plate for 6" SET-TRU chuck Mfg part# 7-875-065
$825 - Bison SET-TRU 6 jaw forged steel chuck Mft part# 7-868-0600
$24 - ground shipping
Total shipped price of $1008 with 5% catalog discount (ask for a hard copy)

Will probably end up with a Pratt Burnerd Set-Rite 3 jaw, which are priced a little bit more then the Bison Set-Tru 3 jaw.

May I ask why you are considering the Pratt over the Bison?

The PBA seems to have slightly better fit and finish, nitride hardened scroll. They both are very close and have very similar specs, the Bison has a slightly larger clamping range. Reviews for both have been very positive. I am open to others opinion.

I'd take the Pratt over a Bison. IMO the English made chucks are nicer than the Polish chucks. Pratt was my first choice when I was chuck shopping but it didn't work out for me at the time.

Wow, that surprises me that the 3-jaw that came on your 1340GT is off that much. These are a Taiwanese chuck that comes on the 1340GT, mine was off less than .0005".

Just for giggles and grinns, have you tried relocating it in the other two positions on the spindle? I would try it and see if that corrects the runout.

As far as chucks that you mentioned, I too would take the Pratt over the Bison given the choice.

Pulled the backing plate off the chuck, a few high spots from small dings were taken off and I cleaned up the mating surfaces. Then tried remounting in different positions. One position gave a little over .002" run out, the other 2 positions were a bit higher. That is about what is expected, it is nicely made otherwise. The lathe spindle run out with the chuck removed was ~.0001".

I am currently looking for a new lathe chuck for my 1340GT, the stock 3 jaw is out .008". :mad:

You might check out Grizzly prices for 3 and 6 jaw lathe chucks, now that they carry Bison and Pratt Burnerd:
$211 - Bison D1-5 adapter plate for 6" SET-TRU chuck Mfg part# 7-875-065
$825 - Bison SET-TRU 6 jaw forged steel chuck Mft part# 7-868-0600
$24 - ground shipping

Total shipped price of $1008 with 5% catalog discount (ask for a hard copy)

Will probably end up with a Pratt Burnerd Set-Rite 3 jaw, which are priced a little bit more then the Bison Set-Tru 3 jaw.

Damn it, I could have saved $136 by ordering mine from Grizzly I don't know how I missed that deal :cussing:

It's not a very good picture, but I got this in the mail the other day.

Now I just need to buy the back plate.

image.jpg

Back