Looking to get a 6-jaw for my PM1236

JayBob

Registered
Registered
I found a pretty good deal on an 8" Gator 6-jaw.

Any reason not to get an 8" for the 1236?

I'd appreciate any insight...

An 8" scroll chuck is overkill for a 12" lathe IMO, 8" 4-jaw is fine. Although that's my personal preference there's also a reason why it's not common to see 8" 3-jaws & 6-jaws on 12-13" size lathes. Just be sure to check that the jaws will not hit the ways when fully extended.

There's a lot of misconceptions about 6-jaw chucks. They sure do look sexy but unless you work with thin wall materials often there's really no advantage to them. A 6-jaw chuck has more disadvantages over a 3-jaw chuck than advantages. Just want to point that out as most people are not aware of that before you spend the extra to get one.

Yes I have one & I do love it & I would buy it again but that's me. I could live without a 6-jaw over a 3-jaw & 4-jaw though. It allowed me to make things I could not hold easily with a 3-jaw but that was when I was making stuff for a different hobby that required thin walled stuff.

An 8" scroll chuck is overkill for a 12" lathe IMO, 8" 4-jaw is fine. Although that's my personal preference there's also a reason why it's not common to see 8" 3-jaws & 6-jaws on 12-13" size lathes. Just be sure to check that the jaws will not hit the ways when fully extended.

There's a lot of misconceptions about 6-jaw chucks. They sure do look sexy but unless you work with thin wall materials often there's really no advantage to them. A 6-jaw chuck has more disadvantages over a 3-jaw chuck than advantages. Just want to point that out as most people are not aware of that before you spend the extra to get one.

Yes I have one & I do love it & I would buy it again but that's me. I could live without a 6-jaw over a 3-jaw & 4-jaw though. It allowed me to make things I could not hold easily with a 3-jaw but that was when I was making stuff for a different hobby that required thin walled stuff.

You do realize the 6 jaw craze is due to your avatar right! :rofl:

You do realize the 6 jaw craze is due to your avatar right! :rofl:

:rofl:

Yeah maybe, I admit, I would want to buy one too looking at it. Nice chucks are like works of art to me, they're chuck por..., er, I mean beautiful (this is a family oriented forum). I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying one. Just hate to see someone spend so much more for one later to find out it's not actually "better" than a 3-jaw.

But I can live with the disadvantages, I use it as my primary chuck, & switch as needed. I would not recommend it as your only chuck. But if you're still set one getting one & don't mind the disadvantages then......

Img_6963.jpg

Img_0542.jpg

Img_9989.jpg

Img_1254.jpg

Img_9680.jpg

Img_6963.jpg

Img_6963.jpg

Img_6963.jpg

Img_0542.jpg

Img_0542.jpg

Img_0542.jpg

Img_9989.jpg

Img_9989.jpg

Img_1254.jpg

Img_1254.jpg

Img_9989.jpg

Img_9680.jpg

Img_1254.jpg

Img_9680.jpg

Img_9680.jpg

They're a bit spendy too!

I will admit I do like looking at darkzero's chucks (that just sounds too weird...) but I will have to limit myself to a Bison 6 1/4" three jaw set-tru for the 1340 and call it good. :)

Bison 6 1/4" three jaw set-tru for the 1340

Great choice! I want to upgrade my 3-jaw so bad. Unless I find I good used Bison 6.25" Set-Tru, I think I'll just get me another Fuerda/Gator in the same flavor. Don't think I can afford another brand new Bison soon. Or maybe I'll just save up for one.

Is that photoshopped or is there a reason you have 2 the same?

Cheers Phil

No PS, I wish I knew how to use it.

The one sitting on the ways is a 5" which are pretty rare to see as they aren't carried by many vendors & costs just as much as the 6"s do.

It's the chuck that I had on my mini lathe (red one pictured above). I don't have that 5" Bison anymore, just the 6.25". I sold that chuck when I gave my brother my mini lathe.

Interresting thread!

What are the disadvantages of the 6-jaws compared to a 3-jaw chuck, beside the cost ?

Thanks for the discussion fellas!

I'm aware of some of the disadvantages of using a 6-jaw chuck, but I do feel that I have use for it, and I plan to upgrade my 3-jaw in the future as well.

I "grew up" on a 6-jaw chuck when I was in the Navy, and I really miss having one. It was a 16" Clausing lathe, and the chuck had to be all of 12", at least. I really miss the reversible jaws too. When I upgrade the 3-jaw, I'll be getting one with reversible jaws (same with the 6-jaw).

I do have a number of items that a 6-jaw would routinely make easier for me. I often have occasion to chuck up some DD stainless bar stock, and I have to drill out some polyurethane bushings pretty often, that usually end up coming out with a triangular hole, due to the way the 3-jaw clamps onto them.

Also, about 80-90% of my work is on Delrin and UMHW polyethylene, making bushings for cars, and I'd like to keep them as round as possible.

As for going with an 8" chuck, I've done some measuring, and it looks like I'll have adequate room for it. One of my common products is a set of spring perches for a car made from 6" UHMW stock. While I don't necessarily feel unsafe holding that material in the current 6" chuck, I'm not 100% comfortable with it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back