Looking for a internal o-ring groove tool

An o ring grove is square not radius,. And if I understand an o ring grove against a shoulder isn't going to seal well.
You can do them square or radiused, the cutters are made both ways, but only some holders do both. I've used square on some flash lights...not nearly as good of a fit when round. Requires a tighter compression seal to do as well of a job. *Everyone's mileage may vary.*

Looks like I need a GHIR 9-3 bar (3/4" shank) to go with a GSFU insert. The inserts are available in different sizes so I need to figure that out, but getting there. I'll take a look at Kenametal as the Iscar's are a bit pricey, though I don't see Kenametal as being a bargain, I's rather buy from them (they are a USA company if I remember right?)
My lathe is a G0602 (10x20)...
Is this a one off job or you plan on using the tool in the future as well ?

It won't be used weekly, but it will be used a couple times a month for a long time. Trying to find comparable to Iscar on Kenametal, but that has turned out to be rougher on their site. Kenametals groove ith are CRAZY big as well. Found ONE (insert) that was .071" wide, that would work, finding the bar is about impossible however.

So for this one "proof of concept" made of aluminum, I hacked up my HSS internal threading tool. I learned about relief angles real quick. Because of my lack of making cutting tools skills...what a piece of crap. This would never work on anything but aluminum and cheddar. I really need to find a carbide alternative. I think the Iscar is $250 and the inserts are almost as much as you must buy 10. Having the right tool for the job....I'm a big believer for sure, just wished the whole insert/tool designation was easier. Being everyone has there own tweaks all the way up to their own method, it's rough.

If you would choose a Kennemetal or a Manchester and can't buy them , I know where a few are with the inserts . I did some late night digging last night . :grin:

Attachments

• IMG_8740.JPG
    IMG_8740.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8741.JPG
    IMG_8741.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
What would be your perfect radius size for what you make. And are all your parts about 2 inch bore and about .250 deep. And how deep is the groove depth?
I think I could hand grind a tool out of carbide . It could be a boring bar shape or ground on a 3/8 or 1/2 inch tool that would fit in a tool post.
Or I could grind a top notch insert to radius needed.
Jim

You guys are some real stand up gents...I thank you all. I'm going to see if I can follow up and the direction @Liljoebrshooter sent, this might be the closest tool (carbide, tough not inserts) that I'm going to get. Not sure how long it will hold up to stainless/Ti, but it's not $500 clams either.
@mmcmdl do you have a carbide (insert style) in that gang of boring bars that you can read the tool ID off of? One that fits this bill?

Sure . I'll head back down . There are many cheap ways to do this btw . I'll get you some numbers and pics of some very easy and cheap ways to machine that groove . Give me an hour , maybe less .
@mmcmdl do you have a carbide (insert style) in that gang of boring bars that you can read the tool ID off of? One that fits this bill?

Back