Looking for a internal o-ring groove tool

GunsOfNavarone

Registered
Registered
I remember starting with understanding carbide insert designations and how convoluted it was. At some point, I got enough to get by and shrugged it off. NOW, I need to breakout beyond my normal set of holders/inserts and need to internal o-ring groove.
The type of insert I need is along this line....
groove.jpg
I know I need a boring bar, after that the monkey with the cymbals pops up in my head. Anyone HAVE a tool like this? I'm happy to copy paste, though I need it smaller shank, not because of my work piece, just size of my machine (1/4" to 3/8"), 1/2" would be last choice.

If it's a short run it would be easier to grind a piece of high speed steel to make the tool bitthan to try and find the right piece of carbide tooling . Most people would have the part made be for the right piece of carbide is found.

i have crossdrilled reclaimed shafting to make boring bars- it is not difficult
grind a small HSS bit as @Nutfarmer astutely pointed out, and secure the bit in the end of the boring bar with a setscrew
it will cost pennies in comparison
if you don't have the HSS, i'd be happy to send a couple pieces-au gratis
send me a pm, if you are interested :eagerness:

I have a few top notch bars that I'll lend out , but I think the shipping would be eh ................................ Grind yourself up a HSS tool . If you know your size , post it . We all :rolleyes: have plenty of tools already ground .

And you probably won't find a bar with that small of a diameter with a insert.
Micro 100 has a lot of choices.
Joe

Here is one from shars. Minimum bore is just about 1".

Joe

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211031-081523_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211031-081523_eBay.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 23
Back