Looking for a internal o-ring groove tool

As others here have said, the home made boring bars with HSS bits are inexpensive and work well. I also have a set of these from Mesa Tool:
I've been very happy with them for doing internal threading and grooving. They offer three different profile inserts for these tools for threading and grooving either square or radius profile. Just food for thought.

Ted

If you tell us what size bore and size of groove needed we could may be more helpful.

Size isn't and issue, the bore is about 2", thickness of o-ring is about .100". I need to put the O-ring groove at very bottom of bore (agaianst the flat bottom). I have found boring bars that will do this with no problem, but finding one that holds an o-ring cutting bit (radius) rather than a square nose...that's the difficult part. That I am pretty much limited to a .500" boring bar or smaller, even tougher.
Is there an easy way to reverse engineer the cutter to the appropriate holder?

Size isn't and issue, the bore is about 2", thickness of o-ring is about .100". I need to put the O-ring groove at very bottom of bore (agaianst the flat bottom). I have found boring bars that will do this with no problem, but finding one that holds an o-ring cutting bit (radius) rather than a square nose...that's the difficult part. That I am pretty much limited to a .500" boring bar or smaller, even tougher.
Is there an easy way to reverse engineer the cutter to the appropriate holder?

You can always grind an insert to suit the o ring . I make filters for a living . We don't have special grooves and our heads seal with no problem . I'm sure Parker has a book you could download , in the meanwhile I'll check my bars . :)

How deep down the bore do you have to reach to put your groove "at the very bottom of the bore"? The farther you need to reach the bigger and/or stronger the bar you will need.

Any of these Kennemetal Top Notches will do the job . As you can see , the inserts can be ground to suit your needs .

Attachments

• IMG_8723.JPG
    IMG_8723.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 24
Any of these Kennemetal Top Notches will do the job . As you can see , the inserts can be ground to suit your needs .
Yeah, you might be onto a suitable answer. Though those are carbide indexable, you ground HSS? On my phone, can’t see detail…
For those who asked, bore is only about .250”

You can grind the carbide inserts very easily . The gov/military always come up with different thread undercuts so I had to do this every day . You said the bore was 2 inches diameter in a previous post , now it's down to .250 ? :confused:

I would just grind one but you can buy one if you don’t have the grinder to do that. And the zoro one is small enough for your lathe.

I think you have a 2 inch bore with a depth of .250 ?

Back