Look what showed up in my shop!

Wow... How does one get something like that to wander into their shop? Do you put out bait, spray certain smells, hang colorful lights or play lively music? Do you have to leave your door open a bit?

Let me know... I'll see if there are any of those running around down here that are looking for a place to spend the winter!

Better to be cautious than remorseful. These old machines are full of ways of doing things that are not common anymore. Nobody uses tapered pins, they use roll pins. And roll pins it doesn't matter which way you drive them out. It's little details that can quickly snowball. Did you try doing a search for a PDF version of the manual or even in the manual section here on H-M? I found the manual several places online for free. Not that the manual is that detailed for the Atlas 7b. It is very basic and there is no guide for repair, they only suggest you take it to somebody to repair it. The parts blowup helps but doesn't show how things come apart. Better than nothing.
Yes, I did a quick search online for a manual. Didn't find one - doesn't mean there isn't one; I just didn't find one. The one I bought was only seventeen bucks, so it didn't break the bank. I need to look in the manual section here at HM. Never even thought of that - thanks.

Today we start cleaning and maybe even get to some re-assembly.

To be continued...

Wow... How does one get something like that to wander into their shop? Do you put out bait, spray certain smells, hang colorful lights or play lively music? Do you have to leave your door open a bit?

Let me know... I'll see if there are any of those running around down here that are looking for a place to spend the winter!
It's easy. Do a guy a favor when he's in a pinch and needs something to keep a piece of equipment operational. Don't charge him - just do it because he needs it, and you're able to help him out.

Seems to me these days folks don't think too much about helping somebody out with no expectation of something in return. Back in the day, that was just a way of life. Every time I've had the opportunity to do that, there is the very cautious response of 'what do I owe you?', combined with the somewhat frightened look of 'Oh, I hope this doesn't get ugly or embarrassing.' When I've answered, 'you don't owe me anything', two things happen: First, a look of relief on their face; second, I just made a friend. I don't take advantage of it, but in the few instances I've needed some help - and quickly - I know who to call. I've not been disappointed.

And who knows? Maybe someday, one of them will show up with a really nice shaper in the back of their truck they want you to keep for awhile.

Regards,
Terry

Wow! Thanks, Brino. That information will be very helpful.

Regards,
Terry

It's easy. Do a guy a favor when he's in a pinch and needs something to keep a piece of equipment operational. Don't charge him - just do it because he needs it, and you're able to help him out.

Seems to me these days folks don't think too much about helping somebody out with no expectation of something in return. Back in the day, that was just a way of life. Every time I've had the opportunity to do that, there is the very cautious response of 'what do I owe you?', combined with the somewhat frightened look of 'Oh, I hope this doesn't get ugly or embarrassing.' When I've answered, 'you don't owe me anything', two things happen: First, a look of relief on their face; second, I just made a friend. I don't take advantage of it, but in the few instances I've needed some help - and quickly - I know who to call. I've not been disappointed.

And who knows? Maybe someday, one of them will show up with a really nice shaper in the back of their truck they want you to keep for awhile.

Regards,
Terry
My dad grew up on a family farm so that was the way of life and it rubbed off on me. For me I don't expect anything in return but like you say it breaks the ice and I've become the guy who if you need welding or small repairs I can help. So because of that I know literally all my neighbors. That's not been the case since when I was a kid. My neighbors have given me a lot of stuff, so much believe it or not I had to turn it down. One neighbor whom I welded up his boat trailer tried to give me an old Lincoln tombstone welder and a floor standing drill press. Both of which I had no need or room for.

Reactions: tjb
My dad grew up on a family farm so that was the way of life and it rubbed off on me. For me I don't expect anything in return but like you say it breaks the ice and I've become the guy who if you need welding or small repairs I can help. So because of that I know literally all my neighbors. That's not been the case since when I was a kid. My neighbors have given me a lot of stuff, so much believe it or not I had to turn it down. One neighbor whom I welded up his boat trailer tried to give me an old Lincoln tombstone welder and a floor standing drill press. Both of which I had no need or room for.
I hear you. The first favor I did for Alan (the 'shaper' friend) was a few years ago. He came by my shop one day a few months after that just to say hello. I happened to be working on a pretty large welding job (building a work bench, as I recall), and I had been very carefully cutting 3" square tubing to length with a 4 1/2" grinder. He said he had an old horizontal bandsaw that he wasn't using any more that would do that job a whole lot faster. He'd replaced it with a much bigger industrial grade machine. I asked him how much he wanted for it. He told me to drive my truck over to his shop; he'd load it up, and I could have it. Complete with six or eight replacement blades. That's been one of the most useful machines in my shop ever since.

Like they say, "What goes around, comes around."

Regards

Regards,
Terry
I agree with that line of thought and I keep doing that.
Though I have cut back after I loaned out my 10K trailer to an acquaintance who was out of work and needed some help, and it did not return home. Also loaned him a laptop to hone up on his computer skills and in a effort to become more marketable.
Turned nasty with physical threats so I had to back off. Have to leave it up to Karma at that point.
'Cast thy bread upon the waters...' and all that.

Back