Long way around...

My clamp set finally arrived for the 12mm rotary table. I'm looking forward to clamping something down soon.20200425_192559.jpg

After stoning the machined surface and breaking all the machined edges with a file, I took the spacer off my mill and dropped it on the granite surface plate. No wobbles and I ran around the entire perimeter with a .0015 feeler gauge with no luck getting it under an edge. I'm going to call it flat for my purposes.

20200426_120200.jpg

20200426_115953.jpg

Finally time to address the other side of the spacer. I clamped it back down to the table with the machined surface resting on the 123 blocks and then squared it up by running the x-axis back and forth with the dial indicator on the edge. This is mostly to ensure that my slots are true and square. The surface cutting could've been done by eye.

20200426_125902.jpg

20200426_125347.jpg

I then ran an indicator all over the entire unmachined surface of the plate to find the lowest point. This side was lower on the edges and high in the center. I marked the lowest spot with an "x" from a Sharpie and installed the face cutter. I actually rotated the carbide cutters in the face cutter to fresh tips because I noticed a little squealing and some blue chips towards the end of the other side. I assume they were starting to wear. I brought the cutter head to the "x" location, lowered it until it contacted the work, moved it off the plate, then lowered it .015" more and locked the quill. Based on my indicator measurements, I assumed that would guarantee that my most shallow cut is .015 and my deepest will be about .035". There was about a .020" bow in the center.

So the 2.5" face cutter throws chips like an old playground merry-go-round throws 1st graders. I just finally cleaned up all the chips from the last time I ran it and my garage is "tight" to say the very least...
20200426_133439.jpg

I have shiny things in close proximity to the mill and, since it's raining outside today, I don't have a lot of options for moving things around. I'll have to improvise.

Last edited:
I started cutting and, after a single pass, my shirt and shorts were totally covered in sharp little chips. My family really doesn't appreciate it when I bring those into the house and then they step on them with their bare feet...so, once again, I improvise. This picture is purely for your amusement. My wife and kids were likewise amused. I think it's a solid look. Dont be shocked when you see it on the high fashion runways of Paris in the near future.

20200426_190524.jpg

Well, that's not 100% true..

For chip containment, some clear plastic shields on magnetic bases work wonders at protecting you and the stuff around the mill. Makes clean up alot easier too, especially if you cover the exposed T-slots on your mill table.

For your spacer, be aware that the act of clamping it to the table may bow it, depending on where it's clamped and how tightly. You may need to do the uncut surface and then turn it back over and lightly skim cut the surface you cut first. Do you have a way of surveying the thickness of the spacer on your surface plate?

Back