Long way around...

I had never even seen the inside of a transmission or a transfer case when I bought this old Willys, but I've learned some things along the way. I'm a big fan of jumping right in. Of course, I've also relied heavily on forums like this one and talented guys who were willing to share their knowledge.

FB_IMG_1572215033854.jpg

It's my own fault. When given the choice between buying the parts for $80 or buying the tools and learning how to make the parts myself for $400, I'll usually go the $400 path. I like to imagine that it's the old "teach a man to fish" adage. I get no satisfaction from buying things, but I love rebuilding or fabricating things.
Me Too

what a fabulous thread. the plus side to this approach is that after a few years of making tools to make tools to make something, you look around and realise you have most of the tools you need to make something. Until something odd pops up and then it's back to making tools to make tools :)

It's my own fault. When given the choice between buying the parts for $80 or buying the tools and learning how to make the parts myself for $400, I'll usually go the $400 path. I like to imagine that it's the old "teach a man to fish" adage. I get no satisfaction from buying things, but I love rebuilding or fabricating things.
i don't understand why anyone would buy when they can build regardless of cost? Glad to know she is a driver. We have a M38 A1, have fabricated a number of things for. Has odd-fire Buick engine. Made a carb adapter to use a newer 2 barrel instead of original 1 barrel, due to changing from points to newer electronic ignition. Electric fan required temp. sensor housing fab. Fuel pickup assembly from a modern tank required an adapter ring ( original style impossible to find). Mounts for larger tallights from a Gamma-Goat. Original lights not too visible to modern distracted drivers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Back