Long way around...

Going to need a lot more information about that CJ! I see the 360 badges so what about the axles? Gearing? Lockers? It's very cool!

No good story ever started with "So, there I was, taking the safe and simple option..."

Going to need a lot more information about that CJ! I see the 360 badges so what about the axles? Gearing? Lockers? It's very cool!
Sure.
AMC 360 motor bored 40 over with Howell fuel injection.
Behind that is a TF727 tranny and a Dana 300 t-case with upgraded 32 splined front and rear output shafts.
Front axle is a 1976 Dodge Dana 60. 35 splined inner and outer shafts. Detroit locker with 5:13 gears. Hydro assist steering.
Rear axle is a 1980 Ford Dana 70. 35 splined Yukon shafts. Detroit locker with 5:13 gears.
42" super swamper TSL's on re centered H1 bead locked rims.
Fuel cell
Onboard welder
Warn winch.

Sure.
AMC 360 motor bored 40 over with Howell fuel injection.
Behind that is a TF727 tranny and a Dana 300 t-case with upgraded 32 splined front and rear output shafts.
Front axle is a 1976 Dodge Dana 60. 35 splined inner and outer shafts. Detroit locker with 5:13 gears. Hydro assist steering.
Rear axle is a 1980 Ford Dana 70. 35 splined Yukon shafts. Detroit locker with 5:13 gears.
42" super swamper TSL's on re centered H1 bead locked rims.
Fuel cell
Onboard welder
Warn winch.

Wow! That's a serious build! Sounds bombproof! Thanks for sharing.

OK...I'm back in business and I'm going to take another shot at milling a reasonable surface on my spacer. Any ideas about a good RPM for this thing? 2.5" OD with a slow manual feed.
20200417_185048.jpg
20200417_185113.jpg

depends on depth of cut and material. In alu, I'd probably run that at 800rpm or so with a 1mm/ 40thou DOC. In steel, probably half the speed for same DOC. Your best guide are your ears. If it's screaming and howling and your mill is banging around, reduce speed, DOC or both until it doesn't :)

It's my own fault. When given the choice between buying the parts for $80 or buying the tools and learning how to make the parts myself for $400, I'll usually go the $400 path. I like to imagine that it's the old "teach a man to fish" adage. I get no satisfaction from buying things, but I love rebuilding or fabricating things.

I found this on my computer, written by me about 4 years ago. No offence intended for anyone of a different flavor!
Aaron

Attachments

• Buying Suckers.doc
    11 KB · Views: 29
So I took a few passes with the face cutter. I found the lowest point on the plate and then went .020" below that. The cutter worked fairly well with not chattering or squealing or anything ugly. The surface looks better than it did with the end mill, but still not as nice as if it was on a surface grinder. Its flat and smooth with no ridges so I guess I'll call it a win and move onto the opposite side.

20200425_192031.jpg

Back