LMS Mill

I may be missing it but in the precision tool package they show a drill chuck but no arbor for it. I didn't see it listed either. It would be kind of silly if they didn't include this but you might want to check unless you already have it on your list.

Ed

Ok cool. Nothing sucks like getting new toy and can't use it. :)
There is no doubt like any hobby our profession you never have everything you need. My wife always says well didn't you just buy one of those....yeah but this one is different and I really needed it. Sounds good anyway.
Ed

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

If I remember Chris' comments correctly, he was not impressed with the quality of the chuck offerings that came with the mill or something like that, and didn't want his company's (LMS) associated with such.

Or something like that. :)

I'm paraphrasing of course.

I may be missing it but in the precision tool package they show a drill chuck but no arbor for it. I didn't see it listed either. It would be kind of silly if they didn't include this but you might want to check unless you already have it on your list.

Ed

Uh-oh...:panic:

The mill comes with an R8/33j arbor.

Whew! :drool:

If I remember Chris' comments correctly, he was not impressed with the quality of the chuck offerings that came with the mill or something like that, and didn't want his company's (LMS) associated with such.

Or something like that. :)

I'm paraphrasing of course.

I'm sure I'll get a couple of Jacobs chucks at least - maybe something better too. Like an Albrecht. :drinkingbeer:

Man, you guys are fun to watch. I have the LMS mini-lathe and have been considering their mini-mill. I think you have made up my mind and I'll be ordering one in the near future. I now have a list of the accessories to buy and look forward to getting it up and running. I'll be watching for your posts in the future to help me along.

Thanks guys!

OK, I've got my wish list finished. My choice of milling machine came down to the PM-25MV and the Little Machine Shop 3960 HiTorque Mini-Mill. There's no way for me to personally examine either machine, so my choice landed with LMS because of the superb customer service and backup. I have a good friend in Oregon who tells me LMS has been a regular exhibitor at the GEARS show for many years. Plus, they've answered all my questions over the phone, and been friendly and knowledgeable every time. In short, if I buy a LMS package, I can reasonably feel that I won't be hung out to dry when the inevitable questions come up.

So here's what I'm going to purchase:

1. HiTorque Mini Mill, solid column, with precision tooling package, part #4722
2. Rotary Table Package, part #3131
3. Air Spring Conversion Kit, part #4005
4. Tachometer, part #3818
5. Shim Stock Assortment, 0.0005" to 0.005", part #4304

The air spring conversion kit is something I wouldn't have known about if it wasn't for you guys here! Thanks to you! Ditto on the rotary table package.

The only variation on the above items I'm going to ask for is a substitution on the drill chuck. The #4722 package comes with a #1212 1/2" drill chuck that sells alone for $10.95. I plan to ask LMS to please substitute their #3153 1/2" drill chuck, and leave out the set of parallels since I already have the same set that comes with the #4722 package. That way I'll get a better chuck and I won't end up with a duplicate set of parallels.

I was going to add the milling machine stand sold by Enco and others, but some of the reviews say it's somewhat flimsy and lightweight. So I'm just going to build my own. The Enco stand is only 27" high, too - I'm going to make mine 30" high since I'm 6'2" - I suspect mine will be stronger and heavier, besides being a bit taller! :drinkingbeer:

I don't have the rotary table, nor the tach, but otherwise we have the same machine. It's a good little machine, although I wish I could go back and get the PM-25. I could use a slightly larger work envelope, and I don't like the rack and pinion on the Z axis. And from what I've heard here, I think PM gives good pre and post sale support. I'd still be buying stuff from LMS though. :)

As I am currently going through the process of fitting a 3-axis DRO-Pro, I will be keeping this for the short-term. One reason for the DRO is to help me deal with all the slop in the Z-axis, although I've thought about trying to shim the rack to deal with some of the slop. All in all though, it's been a pretty good little machine to this point.

I don't have the rotary table, nor the tach, but otherwise we have the same machine. It's a good little machine, although I wish I could go back and get the PM-25. I could use a slightly larger work envelope, and I don't like the rack and pinion on the Z axis. And from what I've heard here, I think PM gives good pre and post sale support. I'd still be buying stuff from LMS though. :)

As I am currently going through the process of fitting a 3-axis DRO-Pro, I will be keeping this for the short-term. One reason for the DRO is to help me deal with all the slop in the Z-axis, although I've thought about trying to shim the rack to deal with some of the slop. All in all though, it's been a pretty good little machine to this point.

wrmiller, what don't you like about the rack & pinion? I'm just curious - I'm not married to LMS yet, and I could get the PM machine for roughly the same $$$ as the LMS package (PM says their shipping is free - can that be right? You mean they'll put a machine on a truck in Pennsylvania and drive all the way to Arizona, and then drive back - all for NOTHING?).

Another thing that attracted me to the LMS 3690 mill is that the head has about 10" drop, and the PM machine has about 2" of quill drop. Apparently they work completely differently - the PM's quill drops from the spindle while the head remains stationary, while the LMS machine's entire head drops while the quill remains stationary. Are you saying the Z axis rack/pinion yields some sort of undesirable action?

The 3-axis DRO pro looks pretty nice. Hope you like it.

Hey Doug,

First off, this is just MY opinion, OK? Both configurations will work, obviously, but I'm not real happy with this mechanism on the LMS. As to the reason why:

When I first was learning at my friends gunsmithing business, he had BP clone. I was taught (and became accustomed to) bringing the table close to the cutter with the knee crank, touching the cutter to the work surface by bringing the quil down and locking it, setting the Z zero on the knee dial (he only had a two-axis DRO) and then bumping the Z handle down to clear the cutter from the work. This set my Z-axis reference, or zero. I'm sure the machinists here would describe a different way, but this worked well, and quickly, for the bulk of the machining we did in the shop.

My first little mill like this was back in 2000 and I bought it from a guy who advertised in the Home Shop Machinist. He basically took the cheap Chinese mill and modified it with a R-8 spindle (not available back then), class 7 bearings, a quill that went about 1.5", and a leadscrew for the Z axis very similar to the one on the PM machines. Add the solid column, and inch leadscrews and it was quite the little machine. He put so much work in this thing that he wasn't making much money on each one, and he still had to compete with the HF crowd that figured price was everything, even if the machine wasn't the same... ;)

Anyway, the transition from the big mill to this little one was very minimal, with the primary difference being where the Z-axis knob was located.

Now I have this LMS machine that has no qilll and the slop on the Z-axis fine feed knob is about a full turn or more. Couple that with the lack of feel on the knob/rack-and-pinion interface, and I am not quite sure when the head actually starts to move. Which is why I bought the DRO, so I can better track the absolute movement of the Z-axis regardless of how much slop is in the mechanism. A rather expensive fix you might say, but I like having a readout instead of trying to count handle turns anyway. As I have said before, I'm not a machinist, I just like using some of their machines to make things. :)

The PM-25 has almost the exact configuration, albeit in a larger package, as the mill I had years ago. I didn't get it because I was afraid of the extra weight and my ability to manhandle it around by myself without any lifts or other mechanical assistance. I goofed, because I managed to muscle around my 300 lb South Bend without too much trouble (minor muscle pulls and my hip complaining doesn't count). Oh well, lesson learned.

With the air spring, the LMS mill has over 10" of Z-axis travel. The PM has 13", and the quill. The PM has more Y-axis travel too, which I will have to work around on the LMS machine. And a Z-axis leadscrew w/quill. I thought about trying to modify the LMS mill to approximate the one I had years ago, but if I disassemble my LMS mill, I have nothing to make the mods with... :(

Buyers remorse? Probably. More like not completely thinking this through before I jumped. I will eventually get the PM machine, and maybe relegate the LMS to precision drill press duty. :)

But keep in mind, this is just me. Others have and like the little LMS machine, and it does pretty decent work for me. It's just not quite what I want for the work I want to do or how I do it. I'm just expressing my experience. Not trying to influence your decision.

Bill

wrmiller, what don't you like about the rack & pinion? I'm just curious - I'm not married to LMS yet, and I could get the PM machine for roughly the same $$$ as the LMS package (PM says their shipping is free - can that be right? You mean they'll put a machine on a truck in Pennsylvania and drive all the way to Arizona, and then drive back - all for NOTHING?).

Another thing that attracted me to the LMS 3690 mill is that the head has about 10" drop, and the PM machine has about 2" of quill drop. Apparently they work completely differently - the PM's quill drops from the spindle while the head remains stationary, while the LMS machine's entire head drops while the quill remains stationary. Are you saying the Z axis rack/pinion yields some sort of undesirable action?

The 3-axis DRO pro looks pretty nice. Hope you like it.

Back