LMS Mill

larry5061

Registered
Registered
Well I ordered my LMS mill Friday morning should see it end of next week, purchased the 3960 solid column with the tooling package.
Any recommendations for set up would be appreciated. http://lmscnc.com/4722
Thanks in advance

Nothing to add on set-up, but congratulations. Should be a great mill.

Congratulations! That's a fine piece of equipment. I got one just like a week or so ago, I'm pretty impressed with its power and quietness.

I got the optional speed display with mine, held on with three magnets. I was really pushing the machine, side milling some cast iron with a 3/4" bit, which caused some pretty heavy vibration, and the speed display slipped, looked like it was soon to fall off. The metal that the hold magnets grip isn't secured very well, but a couple of pieces of Industrial duty double sided tape from Home Depot fixed that issue!

I also got the power feed kit, which works well, but the cords drag pretty bad on the bench top (both cords come out the bottom of the control/motor assembly). I went to Home Depot and purchased a 2' x 4' piece of 3/4 MDF (near the plywood section), had them cut off a 12" x 24" piece off one end, and mounted the mill on that. If I had it to do again, I'd put two pieces under the mill (I think my bench is a bit light, only 1 1/2" thick without the MDF), but this works OK for now.

So far, the mill has been flawless, and I've worked it pretty hard in the short time I've had it. So far I've fed it aluminum, cast iron, hot rolled steel, and cold rolled steel, and it chewed them all just fine. The low speed capability is amazing, most of my non drilling work has been in the 550-800 RPM range, and it hold the set speed very well, rarely dropping more than ten RPM. I do feed it slow, but take pretty big bites.

I doubt you'll have any issues with it, just clean it and go!

Ruben

I love my mill from them, works for everything I need. The only thing for setup I could recommend besides any mods you want to make, is to verify the tramming. I had to shim mine when I got it so everything was squared up. I added DROs from Grizzly to mine to help with setup times and added the air shock kit so I could have more Z axis and less head drop. But that is just what I wanted.

Congratulations! That's a fine piece of equipment. I got one just like a week or so ago, I'm pretty impressed with its power and quietness.

I got the optional speed display with mine, held on with three magnets. I was really pushing the machine, side milling some cast iron with a 3/4" bit, which caused some pretty heavy vibration, and the speed display slipped, looked like it was soon to fall off. The metal that the hold magnets grip isn't secured very well, but a couple of pieces of Industrial duty double sided tape from Home Depot fixed that issue!

I also got the power feed kit, which works well, but the cords drag pretty bad on the bench top (both cords come out the bottom of the control/motor assembly). I went to Home Depot and purchased a 2' x 4' piece of 3/4 MDF (near the plywood section), had them cut off a 12" x 24" piece off one end, and mounted the mill on that. If I had it to do again, I'd put two pieces under the mill (I think my bench is a bit light, only 1 1/2" thick without the MDF), but this works OK for now.

So far, the mill has been flawless, and I've worked it pretty hard in the short time I've had it. So far I've fed it aluminum, cast iron, hot rolled steel, and cold rolled steel, and it chewed them all just fine. The low speed capability is amazing, most of my non drilling work has been in the 550-800 RPM range, and it hold the set speed very well, rarely dropping more than ten RPM. I do feed it slow, but take pretty big bites.

I doubt you'll have any issues with it, just clean it and go!

Ruben

Where did you get the tachometer/speed display?
Thank you

I love my mill from them, works for everything I need. The only thing for setup I could recommend besides any mods you want to make, is to verify the tramming. I had to shim mine when I got it so everything was squared up. I added DROs from Grizzly to mine to help with setup times and added the air shock kit so I could have more Z axis and less head drop. But that is just what I wanted.

What did you use for shims?
Thank you

Just curious, but I've always read that people shim the column or whatever to correct out of square. Why doesn't anyone scrape it square? I'd think it would be more stable than shims.

Having done the shim method, I am not sure how easy it would be to scrape since you would be working with both the weight of the column and the head, taking on and off until you hit the right spot. When I used shims I just went to the auto store and grabbed a feeler gauge set and went with that. But you are right it would be more stable if they were not there.

I was just thinking that after the error were determined, by shim or however you had to, then the base or foot of the column could be scraped to the same error and do away with any shims. But if this whole thing is caused by flex of the column, then it's going to be inconsistent anyway.

Back