LMS Mill

Air brake are you talking about the air spring on column?
This is the one we did.
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2258&category=

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

I have no idea what he's talking about. I was asking about the "air brake" mentioned by wrmiller in message #12.

For a stand this would probably work good
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=2879248&PMAKA=208-8111

Now yer talkin'! Thanks...

For rotary table we got the lms
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1810&category=
You will probably want a chuck if you don't already have one. We had the 3" chuck from our mini lathe. It works great for this app.
Also you may want tail stock and dividing plate. This would be a good overall kit
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3131&category=

Again, right on the mark! Thanks so much. I gather that you don't have too many regrets about your purchase. Happy, happy, happy (I'm thinking Duck Dynasty) !! :thumbsup:.

In message#12 he says air spring and this is the spring to replace the spring that currently supports column head from factory. It was a great upgrade. The spring provided from factory poorly supports head. It was an easy upgrade to do and well worth it.

The mill is actually my son's but I use it more than he does and it was a great buy. As with any machine you will find things that won't suit but that is part of the fun. Rebuilding or designing fixes to suit your needs is the name of the game. Show me a machinist that hasn't modified a machine and I'll show you a 100% honest politician. Won't happen. :)
I know you will live the machine and lms is great to work with. I talked with Chris, the owner of lms, at cabin fever and he knows his stuff.
If you need more help or have questions feel free to ask or pm me.
Ed

I have the air spring on my mill and like it. I think the little 3" milling vise is too small, but I will be making some larger soft jaws out of aluminum so it will do for now until I can get a 4".

My DroPros DRO will be here this week in time to play this holiday weekend. :)

All in all I've been pretty happy with mine. I had to shim about 5 thou on my column. No, I don't know how to scrape. :(

The 3" my son bought for this machine is definitely to small. Most of our flat stock is 4".
I have .006" under one corner. I did find, as I pointed out in this thread, that tightness of the bolts holding the base to my bench top changed the column. I went to 2 bolts in front and this helped. Also I found it important to use the torque wrench on column bolts. When tightening by hand I was tightening them to different levels causing tramming to be off. This is probably an obvious thing to do but I am a little slow.:)
Ed

For the table/stand I listed from Enco, this might help with purchase. Don't miss this exclusive email-only double offer! From now through Friday, use both promo codes: DIS827 and SHP827 for an additional 15% off* and free UPS ground shipping on your web order of $149 or more (excluding machinery).

Ed

In message#12 he says air spring and this is the spring to replace the spring that currently supports column head from factory. It was a great upgrade. The spring provided from factory poorly supports head. It was an easy upgrade to do and well worth it.
...snip...
If you need more help or have questions feel free to ask or pm me.
Ed

Thanks Ed! I truly appreciate your willingness to help. But, I still don't know what an air spring is. I gather it's something you fabricated for yourself.

I have the air spring on my mill and like it. I think the little 3" milling vise is too small, but I will be making some larger soft jaws out of aluminum so it will do for now until I can get a 4".

My DroPros DRO will be here this week in time to play this holiday weekend. :)

All in all I've been pretty happy with mine. I had to shim about 5 thou on my column. No, I don't know how to scrape. :(

wrmiller, please see my comment above. I still don't know what an air spring is, what it looks like, or if it was something you purchased or fabricated for yourself. It may be that I'll just take delivery of my machine and let experience tell me...!:))

The 3" my son bought for this machine is definitely to small. Most of our flat stock is 4".
I have .006" under one corner. I did find, as I pointed out in this thread, that tightness of the bolts holding the base to my bench top changed the column. I went to 2 bolts in front and this helped. Also I found it important to use the torque wrench on column bolts. When tightening by hand I was tightening them to different levels causing tramming to be off. This is probably an obvious thing to do but I am a little slow.:)
Ed

Ahh...using a torque wrench makes sense. Luckily I have one already that should be just perfect.

For the table/stand I listed from Enco, this might help with purchase. Don't miss this exclusive email-only double offer! From now through Friday, use both promo codes: DIS827 and SHP827 for an additional 15% off* and free UPS ground shipping on your web order of $149 or more (excluding machinery).

Ed

YOWZA! Nothing like gettin' a few bucks off from a purchase...I got that email from Enco, but as usual I just deleted it... Enco's codes are very nice, sometimes.

The air spring for the mill you want to get is this one http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4005&category=

Now as far as where it is here is a pic of ours. IMG_20130827_142500_305.jpg
It is the black rod coming up out of the column in back and then attaches to mill head supporting it where ever you position it.
It replaces the torsion spring that is mounted on side of column to support head.
An air spring is a piston and cylinder that will hold a weight of a preset value at a certain position.
Here is the link to the instructions on installing it. http://littlemachineshop.com/Instructions/AirSpringKitHitorque.pdf

Here is the link to manual for mill. If you go to page 29, parts diagram, and look at parts 61 through 72, this is what would be replaced.
Also on page 11 there is a good picture of it. It is the round black thing with arm sticking out from it. This is the spring enclosure and supporting arm to head that you would be removing and replacing with air spring.

I buy a lot from Enco but like most vendors you need to watch the prices.....shop around.

Ed

IMG_20130827_142500_305.jpg

Thanks Ed! I truly appreciate your willingness to help. But, I still don't know what an air spring is. I gather it's something you fabricated for yourself.

wrmiller, please see my comment above. I still don't know what an air spring is, what it looks like, or if it was something you purchased or fabricated for yourself. It may be that I'll just take delivery of my machine and let experience tell me...!:))

The air spring is a device to take up the backlash for the z-axis gear mechanism. In order to cut into a work piece, the motor head has to be screwed down the support column. Because there is friction holding the motor head, it tends to hang up until the backlash is taken up. That makes it hard to track the depth of cut. Even worse, the friction holding the head will give way unpredictably, dropping the end mill into the work piece deeper than intended. If you're lucky, no harm done. If not, pieces may go flying.

Walt

The air spring for the mill you want to get is this one http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4005&category=

Now as far as where it is here is a pic of ours. View attachment 59596
It is the black rod coming up out of the column in back and then attaches to mill head supporting it where ever you position it.
It replaces the torsion spring that is mounted on side of column to support head.
An air spring is a piston and cylinder that will hold a weight of a preset value at a certain position.
Here is the link to the instructions on installing it. http://littlemachineshop.com/Instructions/AirSpringKitHitorque.pdf

Here is the link to manual for mill. If you go to page 29, parts diagram, and look at parts 61 through 72, this is what would be replaced.
Also on page 11 there is a good picture of it. It is the round black thing with arm sticking out from it. This is the spring enclosure and supporting arm to head that you would be removing and replacing with air spring.

I buy a lot from Enco but like most vendors you need to watch the prices.....shop around.

Ed

Thank you Ed! I see it now - I didn't find it because it was buried under "Kits" and then "Conversion Kits". I'm adding that to my order tomorrow morning. Pics coming when I get the whole shebang set up and plugged in!

Back