Let's Talk Drill Bit Grinders!

I can't say I'm a real fan of the Drill Doctor, even though I've had one for many years. They're OK for occasional use, but since they're 90+% plastic they will wear out considerably sooner than one built for commercial or industrial purposes. I must say I've slowed down in the last few years, but not that long ago I was sharpening 50 or more drills per month. At that rate the Drill Doctor didn't make it even 10 years before it was worn beyond use.

Post #25 in this thread includes a picture of the Black Diamond drill grinder I now use.

If you can find something on this order it'll last a lifetime. There are often several available on eBay, but don't get too hung up on the prices. They generally run in the $8,000.00 to $10,000.00 range new, but often sell for peanuts on the used market. I have seen several in the $300.00 to $500.00 range. Mine will sharpen fractional drills by 1/64" up to 3/4" . It will also sharpen letter drills A through Z, and number drills 1 through 60. If you go looking be sure the one you select includes a complete collet set. New collets from Black Diamond are about $55.00 each.

15813006264927830697585957891139.jpg
15813007061402755422558809948112.jpg15813009223691016582813699254170.jpg
The drill is indexed by an adjustable pointer on the flute. Then sweep the cutting edge back and forth to sharpen. The drill must be turned 180* per adjustment. Repeat until the entire end has a new surface. Pretty simple and not expensive.
Tubalcain did a comparison of several different drill sharpeners and if I remember correctly, he was very impressed/ surprised by this one.

Yea, I do see those type of machine on ebay often. Like you said though, it's very important to have a full, or nearly full, set of collets and many of the ones for sale don't. I guess they don't use a standard ER type collet, huh?

When looking for a machine I tend to want the heaviest duty piece I can afford. I don't like chinsy stuff and I'm willing to pay a bit more or shop the used market for something of better quality. However if I'm honest about the amount of bits I sharpen or how much work I actually do, I could not justify buying a machine like the Black Diamond, Darex, or the like.

I'll probably start by playing around with one of the stand alone jigs like pictured above by pacifica. The entry fee is minimal and the theory behind the jig is the same as well known grinders like the Lisle 91000. I think I can rig it up to my belt sander and give it a whirl.

If that doesn't work out I may pop on a Drill Doctor. With the amount of use I would give it I'm sure it would last at least a few years.

The drill is indexed by an adjustable pointer on the flute. Then sweep the cutting edge back and forth to sharpen. The drill must be turned 180* per adjustment. Repeat until the entire end has a new surface. Pretty simple and not expensive.
Tubalcain did a comparison of several different drill sharpeners and if I remember correctly, he was very impressed/ surprised by this one.

Hey, thanks for the pics! I think I will try that out! I'm lookin at a unit on ebay right now!

View attachment 313165
View attachment 313166View attachment 313167
I've got a similar Millers-Falls that's sitting in a drawer. Guess it is time to put it on the 'To-Do' list.

What grit wheel is best to use with it?

Just bought a jig! There are indeed lots on ebay. I went for a Blue Point version because I like the blue color! :D

1581302339643.png

Has the original box/instructions and looks like it's had little to no use. Can't wait to play with it!

I've got a similar Millers-Falls that's sitting in a drawer. Guess it is time to put it on the 'To-Do' list.

What grit wheel is best to use with it?
Im using a 60 grit (medium) wheel. I removed the guard from the grinder and put an 8" wheel instead of a 6". I will use the front for large drills, and will move the attachment to the side (where it is flat) for small drill bits.
15813023830481928905244771652165.jpg

Just bought a jig! There are indeed lots on ebay. I went for a Blue Point version because I like the blue color! :D

View attachment 313170

Has the original box/instructions and looks like it's had little to no use. Can't wait to play with it!
I know that mine went unused all these years because I couldn't mount it anywhere. Thats why I I finally put this dedicated stand together.
Blue Point, nice!

I'll post up a pic when I figure out how to mount it! I'm gonna try and use it on the flat platen of my belt sander.

The drill to be sharpened needs to stick out about 1/2 the diameter. The base is slotted to accommodate for this. I had to get a little creative on my setup to make this happen.

Back