Let's Talk Drill Bit Grinders!

Weldo

Registered
Registered
I've been wanting a good drill bit sharpener for a while now. I'm sorta OK at grinding them by hand but I often can't get them perfect. Sometimes my holes end up oversized or I only get 1 side producing chips. Also it's tough for me to sharpen the small ones, like 3/16" or 1/4".

Cruisin' around ebay I find all kinds of machines at all kinds of prices. Some are old vintage grinders and some are sparkling new Chinesium. I kind of like the old Lisle 91000 but it only does 118 chisel points I believe. The newer Darex grinders can do multiple angles and split points. I like the Darex V390, which is kind of a glorified Drill Doctor, it seems quick and easy to use.

So any of you guys have opinions or thoughts on the subject?

I have a newer drill doctor works ok. smaller than 1/8 can be a pain to get aligned properly.

I think the Drill Doctor is a good concept but since it's marketed towards the DIY and homeowner market it's not very robust. Darex makes a few different grinders that work on the same principle but are much more solidly constructed.

What about machines like this...

1581288920740.png

If I'm not mistaken, it seems this type of machine is based on the old Deckel design. Most, if not all, of the new machines on the market are from China. They look to be of decent quality and I like their versatility. With the included attachments one can sharpen twist drills, end mills, and even HSS lathe tools. I suppose you could even use it to do some grinding on parts if you needed to, say grinding a closely controlled flat spot on a small shaft or something.

These type of machines look like they can do a lot. Does anyone have experience with one?

Drill doctor that takes up to 3/4" Sharpened a coffee can full of 30 years of dull drills. That can alone paid for the machine. It's noisy but good.

If you have a grinder(I use a belt grinder with 120 ceramic belt) this unit is available on ebay and made in usa for $10 -20 and works very well for up to 1". It's almost as fast to set up as by hand and is extremely accurate. Drill bits only. Handles to 3/32. Under 3/32 by a dozen drill bits and replace as needed.
Won't sharpen the helical flute.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 07-06-19 at 12.53 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 07-06-19 at 12.53 PM.PNG
    236.9 KB · Views: 231
If you have a grinder(I use a belt grinder with 120 ceramic belt) this unit is available on ebay and made in usa for $10 -20 and works very well for up to 1". It's almost as fast to set up as by hand and is extremely accurate. Drill bits only. Handles to 3/32. Under 3/32 by a dozen drill bits and replace as needed.
Won't sharpen the helical flute.
I have had one of these new in the box for over 25 years, and just last week I finally set it up in front of a dedicated grinder. I tested it by sharpening a 3/8" a few 1/2" and a 7/8" drill bits. They all came out way above my expectations. The one 1/2" drill bit that I tested cut really well and very even. I will take some pics later.

I've been using a Kalamazoo sander like this one when I sharpen bits by hand.

1581295379745.png

The flat platen makes a nice surface for grinding. @pacifica, Do you have any pics on how you set up that grinding jig on a belt sander? I'll probably look into that thing!

I do lots of drilling and maintaining the correct tip profile is the real challenge for me free hand. I have tried the jigs for belt and wheel grinders with mixed results. The cheapo drill doctor with the coarce wheel is consistent but slow. It does get the job done though, I sharpen lots of 3/4" bits with mine. What I like about my Drill Doctor is the straight consistent holes, it works, you don't need to spend anymore unless you need more speed or bits over 3/4. I've put countless cobalt bits through it. Haven't burned it up yet. When it gets real slow, change the drum stone thingy.

Hmmm, now you guys got me thinking about the Drill Doctor more seriously! I always thought is was kind of a gimicky thing but it looks like it's capable of pretty good performance.

I'd like to be able to sharpen drill bits more accurately but I don't do it a lot so maybe the Drill Dr is a good solution for me.

Back